Curve Ball... Palm Up or Palm Down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
While I'm sure there will be some disagreement on how this is taught, I think Phil (in the clip below) is showing the "palm up" curveball that is being discussed here, no? The palm is up and the fingers the curveball spin by going around the outside of the ball with the palm up during the release.

Movement Pitch Grips and Spins - Curveball - YouTube

Not sure if I would want to follow his method. He's showing how to throw an illegal pitch. His wrist is further away from his body than his elbow at the release.

Feb 20, 2012
I don't agree with coach Phil. I use the knuckle curve and the snap release is close to the body not out in front. Also you got to have a slight lean or tilt backward in the direction you want to ball to curve.

Feb 20, 2012
she is not throwing the spinner right it should not be flopping end over end but stay in a flat plane.

Sorry I don't see any curve at all. She looks to be turning the hand over.

Feb 20, 2012
works best for them? If taught right the ball will always curves. When throwing a slider the hand is rotated slightly so that the ball drops and curves. My opinion

Feb 20, 2012
old men who did step style with no range of motion. Some of the greatest pitchers of all time were step pitchers like King and his court and Ty sofflet. Ty claimed he was clocked at 104 !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG