Curve Ball... Palm Up or Palm Down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
CoachFP said to BoardMember, "The curve ball you are throwing is not ideal form."

Who the ()#*$& gets to be the one who decides what "ideal" form is??? Isn't the notion of "ideal" at least somewhat subjective?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
CoachFP said to BoardMember, "The curve ball you are throwing is not ideal form."

Who the ()#*$& gets to be the one who decides what "ideal" form is??? Isn't the notion of "ideal" at least somewhat subjective?

Ok then, everything about pitching is subjective so therefore this Board is of no use because everybody's way of doing things is ideal. I guess Dallas Escabedo's form is ideal? Everybody but you knows it's not.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Ok then, everything about pitching is subjective so therefore this Board is of no use because everybody's way of doing things is ideal. I guess Dallas Escabedo's form is ideal? Everybody but you knows it's not.

That's not what I meant, buddy. I, for one, yearn for information/instruction that is compelling. Currently, for me, BoardMember and Hillhouse are at the top of that list. Granted (and understandably), Hillhouse doesn't put all that much instruction on here. Therefore, of all the "pitching experts" who post on this discussion board, I am most intrigued by BoardMember. While he may not make sense to all posters here, he makes sense to me. So, I ask again, who the (*$& gets to be the one who decides what "ideal" form is??? The nearest thing to "ideal" for me is the stuff BoardMember provides us with and the stuff Hillhouse has out there (and here).:p

Jul 14, 2008
Gee, you critique all the time, but can't be critiqued? The curve ball you are throwing is not ideal form. Get over it.

Look FP........First of all.........You can't even see my complete arm circle in demo I posted...........All you see is my elbow LEADING into my hip and brushing my side...........

Second........How "bent" it "too bent".........Can you actually quantify your critique? Maybe we can learn something from you on this subject........

Remember.......I have the complete video of myself...........I also have video of of Bill.....Ueno.......And others who throw extremely hard AND make the ball move..........And who, if they listened to your advice when critiquing me, would probably be in the hospital by now..........

Is this TOO Bent?

20uope9.gif

How about this? Is this too bent?

2uonyuq.gif
2v9p1jq.gif

My point was not to start an argument with you sir........It was to say "give me a break"........You can't even see my arm through the circle..........Admittedly, I'm old, not as flexible as I used to be.........

Last, if you read what I said about a "terminal" pitch........I cleary said "sorry to sound so sciencey, but that's how I explain when conditions become optimum for movement...........I only "likened" it to terminal velocity........

There is ONE WAY you can clear up this critique of my form...........Post a clip of YOURSELF throwing a Curveball that moves left and down the way mine does........Or any pitch for that matter.......

Then your critique would be clear as a bell.............Whatdaya say "Coach"..........

You ready to have your "Form" critiqued?? :p

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
If you guy's get bored, I could post mine. The ball doesn't move at all but according to my daughter, I look funny as hell trying.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Board Member, you missed my point. All of their arms are bent. But yours is bent towards third base. Look at Ueno and Hillhouse when the hand is near the hip their arms are bent but towards second base not crooked like yours.

Jul 14, 2008
Board Member, you missed my point. All of their arms are bent. But yours is bent towards third base. Look at Ueno and Hillhouse when the hand is near the hip their arms are bent but towards second base not crooked like yours.

Oh Ok gotcha.........So what I'm doing in the DEMO clip is throwing a corkscrew curve ball to demonstrate how it curves and drops.......The pitch is directed at the outside corner ball is shot across my hips. Upper arm I/R happens sooner then say, an inside cutter.........Because it's necessary shoot the ball across my back then front hip.......

IF I was throwing an inside pitch.........I/R would be delayed..........

IOW..........The line in front of me on the wall represents the outside corner.........

Here's an example........Bill is throwing an INSIDE drop so I/R is delayed and directed toward the inside corner.......I am throwing an OUTSIDE corkscrew curve........I/R is accelerated early to accomplish the spin/direction........

As we both approach 9:00 behind us, the ball is up and the elbow is down.......Then things progress.....

15oxttw.gif
2iives8.gif

What you see is simply earlier upper arm I/R to create corkscrew spin and shoot the ball across my hips toward the outside corner.........It isn't a hard concept......And it isn't hard to throw........

You pitched right? Like I said........If you'll post a clip of your delivery mechanics on a similar pitch we'll see what your taking about.........

We'll wait for it so we can critique the form of your spin/movement "demo" ...........:rolleyes:

disclaimer: At no time am I attempting to compare myself to the actual talent level of Mr. Hillhouse so don't even go there

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck