Curve Ball... Palm Up or Palm Down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
Well I'm not about to be out done by a ping-pong ball. I'm going to get my wife to film me throwing my under-slice rise..........with a bowling ball!! :p

Hey,you Promised a bowling ball pitch clinic. I'm checking in. I really want to see the bowling ball pitch. Two shots at actually throwing a strike,

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Hey,you Promised a bowling ball pitch clinic. I'm checking in. I really want to see the bowling ball pitch. Two shots at actually throwing a strike,

I'm going to need a wide angle lens, every time I throw that pitch it jumps so hard it leaves the video footage. Not sure how to capture this without it looking "doctored". :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
What GD failed to mention is the bowling ball is from this set

champion-sports-plastic-bowling-pin-&-5lb-ball-set.jpg

Mar 28, 2013
Ok really going off the deep end here but this insane subject matter got me thinking how cool it would be if softballs had finger holes.:cool:

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Coach Phil has a much better handle on the curve than Coach Jen, which seems strange tome because Coach Jen actually pitched. I don't care for the spinner much.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Historically, male fastpitch pitchers threw the curve with the palm down, using the same sort of motion that one might use to throw an overhand breaking ball, only backwards.

I throw a BB curve and a SB palm up curve, and for me, they are very similar. I could not throw a BB breaking pitch with my palm inside the ball. Am I missing what you're saying here?

BTW, I'm only on page 2 so sorry if I've missed some discussion.

Added: Looks like Nunthia and I have both made the mistake of randomly responding with little-to-no reference of what or where the thread has gone.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
I was looking forward to seeing the mystery of the corkscrew revealed by el Hefe and all I got was two pages of a seemingly incoherent rant....it's not going to be a good day.

Well Squeeze.......I didn't have any help on this one so I did the best I could for you........Ping Pong ball was WAY to small on film........So I used a larger version in red with a black stripe.........What I found is that it's really tough to "FILM" a curve ball........Because from every angle it's hard to see........So this is what you get..........

The camera on the ground behind me...........

This is a "corkscrew" curve.........Moves left about 8" when it breaks and drops from the gyro spin.......

2qut5k2.gif

Release is cut inside the ball........

210fwap.gif

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Well Squeeze.......I didn't have any help on this one so I did the best I could for you........Ping Pong ball was WAY to small on film........So I used a larger version in red with a black stripe.........What I found is that it's really tough to "FILM" a curve ball........Because from every angle it's hard to see........So this is what you get..........

The camera on the ground behind me...........

This is a "corkscrew" curve.........Moves left about 8" when it breaks and drops from the gyro spin.......

2qut5k2.gif

Release is cut inside the ball........

210fwap.gif

Sorry- Need to see your credentials...couldn't resist...

I see the break and it makes sense from a physics perspective. The ball starts to break once it starts going down. It does not break on the up path at all. That relative wind effectively blowing "up" in relationship to the ball path, will cause a gyro rotating ball to have a magnus effect that will push it towards a left handed batter.

Board Member, Can you please post a pic of the Grip you would use for this pitch please. I know with grips there are no absolutes and you have to find what works for each individual but I would like to see a starting point.

Thanks For all the info you post here it is a huge help.

PTC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67