Curve Ball... Palm Up or Palm Down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Yes....it is exciting to learn about the magnus effect if you are not familiar with it....opens up a whole new world. Now that you have read the article look at your post about axis-opposing forces etc....and be proud at how much you have grown in the last 10 minutes...:)

True, but when BoardMember says that pitch is a curveball (breaks out on a RH batter), I'm listening and he had my full attention. Maybe I didn't understand him.

I have looked into the Magnus Effect before, but only with regards to the riseball.

BoardMember, BoardMember..... I'm in class, but the teacher hasn't returned from his break. Can I get you some doughnuts? :D

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
True, but when BoardMember says that pitch is a curveball (breaks out on a RH batter), I'm listening and he had my full attention. Maybe I didn't understand him.

I have looked into the Magnus Effect before, but only with regards to the riseball.

BoardMember, BoardMember..... I'm in class, but the teacher hasn't returned from his break. Can I get you some doughnuts? :D

I agree a little...the fact that BM says it curves, the fact that it is SP and she says it curves are two reasons to consider it....but jeeze give the man some room in his posterior it will be uncomfortable with you all up in it like that...

Jul 26, 2010
First of all guys.......There is ALWAYS "wind" acting on a projectile that is moving through air space.........Well it's actually called "air flow".........The only way there would be NO wind is if the projectile was standing still in the air space and the air was also "still"...........

Think of it this way.........A ball standing still in a 60mph wind would experience 60mph of air pressure on the "front" of the ball........Transversely, in a zero wind condition, a ball moving through the still air at 60mph experiences that same 60mph of air pressure on the front of the ball............

The question you have to ask is..........Is the trajectory of this ball and the spin of the ball parallel to each other.........Because if it is not.......The "air flow" would be "off parallel".......Or slightly to one side or the other relative to the spin direction........

So......If Sarah is throwing this pitch on an angle relative to the spin.........There will be acting pressure on the side of the ball vs. the front and back............

Later, I'm going to have my wife film me throwing an undercut or corkscrew curve using a ping-pong ball for enhanced effect........

I'm going to cut inside the ball with my index finger........but throwing it across my body relative to a straight target line......Creating some air flow shear effect on the side of the ball.............

Lets see which way it breaks!..........You're going to be surprised.........

Stripe the ball please so we can actually see the spin, better yet paint one half black.

Sarah isn't throwing anything on an angle. Just because she's offset to the plate and throwing at an angle "relative to home plate" doesn't mean anything, the pitch is still a straight line. The brain will perceive movement do to the angle, but this has nothing to do with physics and everything to do with how our minds distort reality.

-W

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
These diagrams seem to support BM's claim. Of course, one has to flip things around when they point out the fastball spin (fastpitch versus baseball).

http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/NYT.jpg

Isn't there something in another thread about unconscious incompetence? Seriously- this picture is true and it has nothing to do with what we are trying to figure out. Everyone gets this part...

i'm not trying to be mean so accept my apologies, but the conversation is past the basics of the curve/basics of the magnus...it has to due with these things but in a much more subtle way....let's see what BM shows us tonight....with the right info I am sure all of this can be explained.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Later, I'm going to have my wife film me throwing an undercut or corkscrew curve using a ping-pong ball for enhanced effect........

Well I'm not about to be out done by a ping-pong ball. I'm going to get my wife to film me throwing my under-slice rise..........with a bowling ball!! :p

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Isn't there something in another thread about unconscious incompetence? Seriously- this picture is true and it has nothing to do with what we are trying to figure out. Everyone gets this part...

i'm not trying to be mean so accept my apologies, but the conversation is past the basics of the curve/basics of the magnus...it has to due with these things but in a much more subtle way....let's see what BM shows us tonight....with the right info I am sure all of this can be explained.

My mistake... I thought the black arrow for the "gyroball" was showing it breaking in. It's showing it breaking down. I now know why you said what you said -- "conversation is past the basics of the curve/basics of the Magnus"

Next time preface with, "Hey knucklehead..." ;)

Jul 14, 2008
Well I'm not about to be out done by a ping-pong ball. I'm going to get my wife to film me throwing my under-slice rise..........with a bowling ball!! :p

23jnwy1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish