Critique DD for me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD is 14 and has no Pitching coach. we've been to see Bill Hillhouse when he has been in the area AND it was at a time when we could make it. She loves him and totally buys into his methodology. the problem is that I have had ZERO luck finding a pitching coach in our area that teaches anything other than "Hello Elbow".
Without regular coaching, she picks up lots of bad habits and either doesn't know she's doing them or thinks that it is not a bad habit.
we took some video on the iPad with Ubersense today so I'm posting them for comment. Hopefully someone can repost them in slow motion because it's really hard to see anything otherwise.
Right off the bat, things I take exception to:
  1. making the number "4" with the legs after release instead or dragging the drag foot straight with the laces facing the catcher
  2. related to #1- drag foot is coming off the ground too early
  3. motion is not so linear but bouncing side to side
  4. she is bending at the waist to the side at release

Any "big picture" advice you would care to offer (or recommendations of Pitching coaches north of Boston) would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 25, 2010
1st time posting advice for me. She's stepping left of the powerline which is causing her to catch herself with her right foot to keep her balance.

Now I'll step aside and let the people that know what they're doing takeover lol

Oct 22, 2009
obbay, I like your DD, she has that drive to want to throw hard and she has a few issues holding her back.

I suggest you find one of the better instructors in your area, and set up an evaluation and talk over with them the whole HE issue and how you don't want it addressed in her mechanics, and see if you can come up with a compromise where your DD is the overall winner.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Yeah, she really needs a coach. Its interesting, none of the softball people I talk to around here have heard of Bill Hillhouse (or Howard Kobata either) or internal rotation....

Feb 7, 2013
here's 2 of 3

A couple of things a) she is basically step style (e.g. she is not leaping and dragging away from the pitching plate); and b) she is forcibly slamming her hips shut which causes her to fall off to her right side. Fixing these two things will help her a lot.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Her arm circle is really off line, she takes the ball behind her and opens up her shoulders when she does this. Because her shoulders are open and the ball is behind her she starts her forward swing not at the catcher but toward the 3rd base on deck circle. You might temporarily let her have a backswing which might let her start her arm circle on line with the target. This is going to be a major change but you can't start the motion like this. If she changes this it's going to change other things down the line.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
How about she calm down some when she initiates her pitch. Arm speed should be maximized after 12:00, not in the pre-motion.

Dec 20, 2012
Her arm circle is really off line, she takes the ball behind her and opens up her shoulders when she does this. Because her shoulders are open and the ball is behind her she starts her forward swing not at the catcher but toward the 3rd base on deck circle. You might temporarily let her have a backswing which might let her start her arm circle on line with the target. This is going to be a major change but you can't start the motion like this. If she changes this it's going to change other things down the line.

Yes arm circle is off kilter. When she goes forward with her arm it actually is going between 3rd and home, as previously stated. If you watch Hillhouse videos he will suggest the "shove the glove" drill. But if you let her back swing, have her swing glove and ball arms at same time. Swinging ball arm only is fine but make sure it is straight back and not wrapping around her back or flailing out. Just too easy to get off the correct arm circle IMO. If she gets that cleaned it up I think that would fix her leaning right, stepping off power line and drag toe. Once that is looking better she could get a little more drive. But like jojo said, you can tell she has the desire to throw hard and that is a big plus! good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish