Critique DD for me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
thanks mandm- that was farther than i had planned to go for weekly instruction - driving an hour for a 1hr lesson seems like it might be tough but someone else had mentioned that and it may be the only solution

you won't regret it !!!

Mar 28, 2013
All the mechanics that have been suggested by the gurus are important for your DD. My one suggestion would be to work being Loose. Strong willed girls that try to be aggressive (a good trait) tend to try to muscle the ball to gain speed. what they eventually learn is throwing stiff as I call it tends to reduce spin and speed along with throwing off mechanics. Young pitchers generally don't have allot of body awareness and they need to work on being able to feel what using your smaller faster muscles does as opposed to the big slow ones. This will bring back balance and go a long way to fixing some of the mechanics. The goal is to produce allot of power using your whole body and making it look effortless. The body should be more like a spring and not a mechanical ram.Keep up the great work.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I know that when my DD gets going too much side to side, it is usually something at the beginning of the motion and it has disastrous effects downstream. I liken it to a pendulum on a grandfather clock. if the motion is off kilter on the back swing then all sorts of eccentricities of motion are going to happen down stream. So I would focus on having good posture and balance at the very beginning of the wind up and having her bring the ball straight back in a controlled manner and just feeling the rock straight back and then straight forward.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I would say that if you really want to get your DD on the right track, you could not pick a better place. It will pay off in the long run in that you will not having to undo bad mechanics as she gets older. They have a great track record of maximizing their students' potential- not everyone is going to be throwing 65mph, but if your DD is capable, I believe they will get her to be the best she can be.

Ask for Kate- she is wonderful- really connects well with her students- if you chose to go, you can tell her "Emma's mom recommended her!"

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks MandM- with the feedback here and PMs I saw PFP was the way to go-so I spoke with Kate and set up our first lesson a week from Sunday. DD is psyched!.
Also, FWIW, I told DD I had posted some of the video I took and told her some of the responses I got. She seemed to be aware of most of the issues from seeing the video herself and I was just being a dope again. We pitched again the next day and she was fine! straightened herself out, better control and speed, but still not driving hard off the rubber or relaxing up to 12:00- but that's where the pitching coach comes in!
thanks again for the recommendation!

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Great- I think your DD will have a positive experience- PLENTY of great role models for her to see and emulate - make sure that you take a peek at the Varsity School when you are there!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish