Concussion Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I just received an email regarding concussion training for coaches. The Tennessee Legislature has passed mandatory concussion training for anyone coaching youth sports. Do any of you in other states have this? I believe this is a really good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 26, 2010
It's required in California for HS coaches. It was included in the CPR/first aid course I take every 2 years (also a requirement), but the NHFS also has an online concussion certification course for states that don't provide the training.

-W

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
While not mandatory for our league all coaches were encouraged to take the CDC online course. And the sent an easy to follow link. Only took about 15 to 20 minutes and was well worth it. They also have some great handout resources at the CDC site (Center For Disease Control)

If anyone want to take the free online training course/test here is the link -

CDC - Heads Up Online Training Course - Concussion - Traumatic Brain Injury - Injury Center

I don't know if Ohio requires it or not. However, our TB organization requires it and this is the course they wanted us to use for the training as well. As Sweet Lou said, they have great handout and form resources.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
It is mandatory here in Illinois and we not only see a video, we have a trainer cover it for all of the coaches at my school. In fact, you have to get a "certificate of competition" to coach.

Nov 27, 2010
MN requires it (same Heads Up program). Renewal once every 3 years. The part that I really liked 3 years ago, our association paid to have a company come in a give a baseline test for any athlete that wanted it. I thought that showed commitment to the program.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse