Wooden bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2021
Just curious, does training with a wooden bat translate in softball like it does in baseball?

I dont mean a camwood or any other type of “trainer” bat for bat speed, had path, etc. Im talking about a drop 8, 9, or 10, wooden fastpitch bat that has a smaller sweet spot than composite bats. If anyone is doing this i would love to hear thoughts and recommendations. Thanks

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
See the below thread for a recent discussion on wood bats in softball. In short answer, no.

Oct 18, 2021
See the below thread for a recent discussion on wood bats in softball. In short answer, no.

Thanks. I’ve read that thread already but doesnt really apply to what I’m asking here. Im not looking for something to use in games, strictly for BP where the smaller sweet spot would put more focus on catching the barrel. Hitting coach we use does baseball also and has all of his boys swinging wood bats, but besides a camwood, I've never seen a girl swing a wooden bat for the same purpose as baseball players

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I've never seen one used for the purpose you describe, either, especially since different bats will have different sweet spots. If anything, I'd go with a heavier bat in BP to help develop strength and swing speed. Something like the -9 Anderson Rocketech comes to mind. If you can drive the ball in BP with that thing, you can hit bombs with a broom handle in games.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD used a 32" Pink Wood bat for training. Mainly for overload and strength. Usually 10 hits off a tee or side toss for game day warm up or half a bucket front toss for BP training. Just another training aid. She felt more explosive after using.

May 28, 2019
Just curious, does training with a wooden bat translate in softball like it does in baseball?

I dont mean a camwood or any other type of “trainer” bat for bat speed, had path, etc. Im talking about a drop 8, 9, or 10, wooden fastpitch bat that has a smaller sweet spot than composite bats. If anyone is doing this i would love to hear thoughts and recommendations. Thanks
i've bought some slow pitch wood bats for my dd. its a bit heavier than her normal bats which i like cause i think it adds strength and power training. I also use it for the purpose of hitting dimple balls off the pitching machine. I don't want that wear and tear on her game/expensive bats.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles