Comments Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We work tirelessly also on the hands. To turn the barrel at initiation. Moving the hands forward, by means of the hands, away from the body, at initiation of the barrel, will never produce a high level swing.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
We work tirelessly also on the hands. To turn the barrel at initiation. Moving the hands forward, by means of the hands, away from the body, at initiation of the barrel, will never produce a high level swing.
Making it seem as if anyone here is saying the hands move independently of a supporting cast is dishonest at best. Come on, you're better than that.

There is a big difference in "the shoulders deliver the hands" vs. "the hands deliver the handle and recruit the body in that effort".

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Making it seem as if anyone here is saying the hands move independently of a supporting cast is dishonest at best. Come on, you're better than that.

Not trying to. Making it seem and SAYING over and over that anyone is saying the hands are dead, or the hands are along for the ride...then coming back a week later and trying to drum it up again, is even worse. That is all I am repeatingly having to defend. It they are not pushing at iniation, then they are doing the same thing that I am saying is my way. Same thing, so no more need for it to be drummed up again.

There is a big difference in "the shoulders deliver the hands" vs. "the hands deliver the handle and recruit the body in that effort".

Yes they are a different series of letters. Words, that have to be supported by teaching what it is that is meant by those words. As has been said many times "don't use those words if you don't like them." Continue to drum old topics though to show your character.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
What do you mean by "drumming it up"? I honestly think the OP's DD would be adversely effected by a cue that would have her deliver her hands via the shoulder. Are you now against me helping others, because the words offend you?

I'm not too worried about your feelings, you've already shown that you are a hard learner. If someone else can glean a few nuggets from your ignorance, than you are serving your purpose.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She's left handed.

Thank you.

Once the issue is corrected I'd like to learn what this hitter believes helped her learn to correct this issue.

Another question if you will .....

On this particular swing, just prior to swing initiation (the capture of barrel transition), what is the tension level in her top hand wrist (her left wrist)? On a scale of '1' to '10', with '10' being the firmest ... what tension level is in her top hand wrist just prior to swing initiation?

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
What do you mean by "drumming it up"? I honestly think the OP's DD would be adversely effected by a cue that would have her deliver her hands via the shoulder. Are you now against me helping others, because the words offend you?
btw, her rear shoulder looks to be in charge of delivering her hands here. Just saying

Words that no one used before you in the thread. Words that I am sure you never used before you heard that I like the que. AKA: drumming it up.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
SwingBuilder posted in the Centripetal and Centrifgal (not directed at any poster):

The Hand Pivot Point is useless IF your swinging around the spine/ shoulders.

Thats how you have applied HPP. Wrongly.

As long as the arms are moving the hands the barrel will follow the hands. Good hitters do not desire LAG.

As long as the shoulders are moving the hands the barrel will follow.....until the pattern has reached its end.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes ... a mental mindset of swinging around the 'spine' is problematic.

Good hitters do desire 'lag' ... but not in the sense that some understand 'lag'. It is why good hitters feel their top hand/wrist being used at 100%. Lag can be thought of as the top hand wrist becoming 'bent' ... i.e., loaded for bear.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO, there has been an overemphasis on over actively turning the hands @ GO. IMO, this has marginalized the other absolute of the hands, which is to seek direction for the handle. So you end up with ALL unload of the barrel, due to the 1 sided equation.

When you put competing priorities on the hands (turning the barrel with the top hand, while also trying to hit the inside seam of the ball), good things will happen.

When Williams’ spoke of getting to contact with an unbroken wrists … this is what he was talking about … another way to think of hitting the inside seam.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
SwingBuilder posted in the Centripetal and Centrifgal (not directed at any poster):

The Hand Pivot Point is useless IF your swinging around the spine/ shoulders.

Thats how you have applied HPP. Wrongly.

As long as the arms are moving the hands the barrel will follow the hands. Good hitters do not desire LAG.

As long as the shoulders are moving the hands the barrel will follow.....until the pattern has reached its end.

A lot of good debates took place. Many learned by not quitting and gaining the "AHA" moment(s). I haven't re-read that thread, but I lived it. Don't even know how much I've grown since then. I'll have to see. LOL