PGF perspective on the ASA JO Cup (2/20)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I looked at the list and by and large it just looks like a bunch of teams that finished pretty low at PGF. A couple of high finishers mixed in, but it looks like a tournament for the second tier (still very good) teams.

Mar 26, 2013
Today's article on FullCount has a more info- 24 Junior Olympic Cup Teams announced.

I see they lowered the entry fee from $6k to $5k and expanded the payouts to top 12 (50%). I suspect they did that in response to input from the orgs - a novel concept for ASA.

I like it from the perspective that it puts pressure on PGF. It will be interesting to see if/what changes are made in response.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA followed suit a few months later and is still barring college players from Gold for the 6th year. ASA should allow college players back in Gold rather than pervert their amateur JO sport.

Everyone should allow college players as long as they are age eligible. That has always been my opinion. The only people who seem to have a problem with college players being included are those who are chasing the carrot and the perception that that player being there is going to keep Lil' Susie from a chance to be "seen".

Another stated factor in the rationale for excluding college players was saving coaches from the dilemma of being loyal to the players that had been there all year for them vs displacing them with college players for the last 1-2 months. However, it still happens as both ASA and PGF teams pick up hired guns to help them compete in their national - the only difference is they're not college players. There are a number of players that play in both nationals - once with their regular team and also with another team as a pick-up player.

So, this seems to be more of an issue of the coach with the "win at all costs" attitude that displaces his/her loyal players who have been on the roster? "Pick up" players were never meant to be a booster to a team, but to help qualified teams to be able to compete and not have to withdraw due to player unavailability.

I've never understood how any organization can claim to have the best of the best when the best may not be permitted to participate.

Mar 26, 2013
Everyone should allow college players as long as they are age eligible. That has always been my opinion. The only people who seem to have a problem with college players being included are those who are chasing the carrot and the perception that that player being there is going to keep Lil' Susie from a chance to be "seen".
Personally, I don't care if either one allows college players. ASA is the one most likely to do it from a purist standpoint and it would have been a better way to differentiate themselves from PGF. As far as exposure goes, college players would have little impact because the overwhelming majority of playing time in bracket games is players that are already committed. Definitely true for PGF. YMMV with ASA 18G.

So, this seems to be more of an issue of the coach with the "win at all costs" attitude that displaces his/her loyal players who have been on the roster? "Pick up" players were never meant to be a booster to a team, but to help qualified teams to be able to compete and not have to withdraw due to player unavailability.
Top teams at that level contend largely by having the best players, so some will use whatever is available to them and that puts pressure on the others to do likewise to keep up (e.g. arms race). My point is that rationale on college players is not applied consistently across the board with non-college players. A slew of player wanted posts pop up after local qualifiers from teams with berths looking for an impact pitcher, big bat and/or speedy slapper from teams that didn't qualify.

BTW. ASA's pick up rules may not even come into play. Example: Team A finds out Team B is playing in a different sanction whose Nat dates don't conflict with theirs, so they recruit top players from it before qualifiers begin and simply roster them like the rest of their players. No limits nor geographic restrictions.

Mar 26, 2013
Latest news from an unhappy participant on Midwest Fastpitch is event won't be at Chino Hills Park...

ASA LOST CHINO HILLS Posted by PLEASE CONFIRM on April 29, 2015, 11:50 am

USSSA had already reserved Chino Hills, the venue that ASA had announced as home of the JO CUP, which 26 teams have made a $5,000 commitment to playing. I never wanted our team to play in this event in the first place and now we're being sent to secondary complex. How does this happen?

Classy post by Bill Conroy...

Posted by Bill Conroy on April 30, 2015, 5:30 am, in reply to "Re: ASA LOST CHINO HILLS"

Sorry but I have little to add to this post other than I did receive a text yesterday asking if ASA had lost Chino Hills, a park that I consider a quality venue, which i didn't know with any certainty but did notice that ASA had taken down the verbiage and pictures of Chino Hills on their website.

If the information is accurate, I'm sure ASA is working diligently to secure a quality venue and I personally wish them nothing but the best in their inaugural season. As I have said before, competition is good for everyone because it forces everyone to put their best foot forward. I sincerely hope ASA delivers a quality product but at the same time hope PGF delivers a product that is better than ASA but also better than what we provided in years past. It is our job and responsibility to make sure we provide the best product available and work at improving the product each year, competition helps fuel that fire.

Quick check of JO Cup web site reveals Chino Hills Park is no longer mentioned and the Welcome page says they're assessing their options.

This event will rotate around the country yearly, but this year the venue will be in the Chino Hills, Calif. area. We have been offered a few venues and are currently assessing our options as we want to make sure we choose the perfect park for this event. One of the facilities we are considering is the Jurupa Valley Big League Dreams complex...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad