Cold weather

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
My DD has no body fat so when it gets cold she has a very hard time. It's like two different players. She loses concentration and control. Anyone else have a player like this and are there things to help get them through? She layers for the cold but still has problems.

May 13, 2012
Had a pitcher in 12 u you could read the paper thru very thin. Good pitcher great control and spin but she was like the new bats, don't use below "x" temp. Tried everything but by the time she had enough on to stay warm her arm circle produced a cone shape. Just couldn't do it

Jul 10, 2013
YEP, Move to a warm state. Being from the northeast my kids use Under Armor cold gear for college. They have the long sleeve shirt, long under pants, and even the head gear. Days when it is really cold ( every other day ) they will wear there long t-shirt over the Under Armor. They also use hand warmers. The umps have even let the girls wear there warm-up pull overs because they have there numbers on the back. We also carry a propane heater with us that we use for the bats. Playing in the cold is just part of softball and baseball for the northeast. The only thing that will conditions them is practicing and playing more games in the cold. Nothing is better than sitting watching a softball game while there is snow flurries.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD has no body fat so when it gets cold she has a very hard time. It's like two different players. She loses concentration and control. Anyone else have a player like this and are there things to help get them through? She layers for the cold but still has problems

She needs the appropriate "cold weather equipment" to carry with her: An oversized hooded coat in her team's colors...something she can get in and out of.
Mittens (not gloves, mittens) and some hand warmers (HotHands Hand Warmers work well). At the beginning of the game, she puts a hand warmer in each mitten. So, between innings, she'll be in pretty good shape.

She should wear no more than a long sleeve thermal shirt and pants. The UnderArmor ColdGear is very good.

The key to staying warm when pitching is simply to get out there and pitch as quickly as possible. As long as she is pitching, she'll generate enough warmth to keep warm

Beyond that, it is mental toughness.

My DDs played in Chicagoland in 30 degree weather with a 10-15 MPH wind. They both played in short sleeve shirts, with only a T-shirt underneath. DD#3 played tennis in Chicagoland in November in a tennis skirt (no leggings).

Your DD has to learn to "welcome" the cold and have faith that once she starts pitching, she will warm up.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD 3 has the problem where she can't really pitch well wearing extra clothing, and it sometimes the cold weather tournaments in May and early June can be brutal. She worked out an arrangement with her previous TB coach that DD 3 would always wear a jacket between innings, unless she was at bat or on the bases. If not a jacket, at least keep her pitching arm warm.

Her PC pitched men's fastpitch for many years. He said he would keep the chemical hand warmers in his back pocket while pitching to warm up his pitching hand. DD 3 never tried this, and I don't know if that is legal for girls fastpitch.

May 18, 2009
Thanks everyone. I think I will definitely check out the UA cold gear and look at getting the hand warmers. I expect some snowy days during practice and early games this year.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
RV...the mittens go in each pocket of the coat. Make sure they are the heavy ski mittens and a little oversized. So, she just sticks her hands into the pockets of the coat and into the warm mittens.

DD#1 would go out on the mound in a short sleeve shirt like it was a beautiful 70 degree with a light breeze, and the batters would be wearing sweatshirts and shivering in the on-deck circle. DD#1 would kind of stare at them in disdain, like, "What a wimp. Get off my field and have mommy make you a cup of hot chocolate."

Last edited:
May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
DD#2 is on the smaller side and struggled pitching in the cold, coaches figured it out and didn't have her pitch the early game on Saturdays if they didn't have to. It is not uncommon for mid 30's in the morning March and April in the PNW. She is getting better at it but I honestly think it is just because she is getting bigger. She will pull her sweater on in the dugout with hand warmers for both hands to stay warm. DD#3 is a big girl for her age and pitches in short sleeves in the cold. I try to have them pitch outside once a week thru the winter so they are not surprised by the cold come March, after the first year of doing this the complaining about the cold during tournaments dropped off a lot.

Nov 29, 2009
My DD pitched in the same conditions as Slugger's DD's all the way through college. Played softball in the Chicagoland area and went to college in Wisconsin. The key is to go out and practice in the worst weather so she can learn how to pitch in the cold, damp, wind and rain. Find the crappy pitching rubbers to practice on. Have your DD learn what SHE needs to do to operate in all kinds of weather. Trying to experiment during games is a recipe for failure and frustration. Do it on her time so she'll be prepared mentally and physically.

One of the best on-field hand warmers is the arm pit of the glove hand between pitches. Most of the girls go eewww when you tell them. Once they figure out it works keeping their fingers warmer and they won't fall off, they use it. DD used to keep her hand there until she got the pitch signal from the catcher and then got her grip on the ball for the pitch. If she was not involved with a ball put in play the hand was there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55