Cold weather

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Have started many mornings with temps in the 30's and a few in the low 20's. If the wind isn't blowing, that can be surprisingly decent.

Under Armor hand muff

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/u...gclid=CI2y27rP28oCFQEJaQodN1kClw&gclsrc=aw.ds

The big chemical hand warmers. Not the cute little ones. Read the fine print and find the 130 degree ones.

Cover your ears on the field and cover your head and neck in the dugout.

Have the dads bungee strap a cheap tarp on the dugout to break the wind.

Get a radiant heater like this and 2 20# propane cylinders. Assign a parent to watch it until the girls get used to being around it. If they stick their hand by it with a batting glove on it it can start to melt it. this heater is big enough that they won't crowd around it and get to close which is safer IMHO

Robot Check

Not these

Robot Check

One more thing- the under armor cold gear is supposed to be really good, I don't know. Consider a set of real silk underwear to wear under the UA or instead of it. Cabelas has it. It can be worn under insulated underwear, is razor thin, not bulky, they won't OVER heat in it and it works great. I used to spend a lot of time outside and my all time best combination to keep warm and not overheat is silk insulated underwear under real wool insulated underwear.

Couple of the posters already alluded to this but "being cold" is partially a mental state. If you let young girls stand around and talk about how cold it is, the next thing you know they all start looking like Leonardo DeCaprio at the end of Titanic when it's 50 degrees out. I get cold easy and I can tell you it's important to keep your mind on the task and not dwell on the temperature or it will get the best of you.

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
A big thing for my DD is her hands. The knuckles hurt when it's below freezing or when it's cold and wet with wind. I've shoveled snow a few times in our pitching lane to get work in. Most of the complaints relate to knuckles and grip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oconnell.patrick