Catching DVD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2013
I pulled the trigger and bought this DVD. Started watching it with DD yesterday. Only watched about 45 minutes or so, but it seems good so far. The video quality is excellent. More to come ...

Feb 5, 2013
We've gotten a little more DVD watching in ...

So far I would disagree with those who said the Catching-101 DVD is very similar to the NECC video. Obviously some similarities, but definite differences when it comes to receiving ... specifically when it comes to body sway and glove positioning. I would not say the two are in the same camp at all.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We've gotten a little more DVD watching in ...

So far I would disagree with those who said the Catching-101 DVD is very similar to the NECC video. Obviously some similarities, but definite differences when it comes to receiving ... specifically when it comes to body sway and glove positioning. I would not say the two are in the same camp at all.

Good to know. I was only going by what I heard from others on BBF.

What can you tell us about the differences?

Feb 5, 2013
What can you tell us about the differences?

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm probably only about 1/3 through the DVD. But as I mentioned, Xan promotes staying very still behind the plate. None of the "lean" to get the nose behind the ball, although he acknowledges many good instructors teach that. Also, the "catching around the ball" that NECC promotes so strongly in the video is something Xan specifically suggests not to do. He not only doesn't want pitches framed (pulling the ball back into the zone ... as NECC also says not to do), but the catching around the ball to create a straight line with the glove is something he is against.

There may be some nuance I haven't gotten to yet. I'll certainly let you know.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm probably only about 1/3 through the DVD. But as I mentioned, Xan promotes staying very still behind the plate. None of the "lean" to get the nose behind the ball, although he acknowledges many good instructors teach that. Also, the "catching around the ball" that NECC promotes so strongly in the video is something Xan specifically suggests not to do. He not only doesn't want pitches framed (pulling the ball back into the zone ... as NECC also says not to do), but the catching around the ball to create a straight line with the glove is something he is against.

Please keep us posted as you work through the DVD. I'm curious to hear more about the differences and similarities to NECC.

Oct 10, 2011
sway

Please keep us posted as you work through the DVD. I'm curious to hear more about the differences and similarities to NECC.
I decided to buy his book today because I was bored at work. He definitely does not like the sway method for framing. I just started it also. For $10.00 on Kindle it was worth it.
I did like some things he mentioned about blocking. ..the mental approach etc...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I decided to buy his book today because I was bored at work. He definitely does not like the sway method for framing. I just started it also. For $10.00 on Kindle it was worth it.
I did like some things he mentioned about blocking. ..the mental approach etc...

I haven't seen Xan's video, but sway is not good IMO and is not what NECC teaches. What some don't realize or don't execute successfully, yet is essential to NECC's approach, is that the catcher has to beat the ball to the spot so that the glove and body are NOT moving when the ball is received. If a catcher doesn't move to center the body for each pitch, they won't be in good position to execute a block when necessary.

I am looking forward to Xan's book on calling pitches and hope it isn't limited to baseball, but includes the fastpitch game. IMO, its like going from a 3-speed to a 10+ speed bike.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA