So me and DD worked on throw-downs for the first time yesterday...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
We are studying the NECC DVD and we both love it. I won't preach to the choir, you know how good it is. The thing is, we've been doing some work with Austin from AB and DD's throws have gotten insanely better and with more velocity. We specifically do the "sitting hand behind" drill, the "standing hand behind drill" and the "water bottle drill."

So, we're watching the "Throwing" section of the NECC DVD and I was somewhat surprised to see that they teach the catcher to bring his/her throwing hand back into the "L" position before the throw-down which we've pretty much found out by now that's incorrect teaching when learning to throw (along with the wrist-flick drill).

So, being that my DD is working on her throwing, and doing quite well, BTW, we decided to deviate from that portion of the DVD and use the "hand behind" method for the throw-down and change nothing else from what we learned from the DVD. We went down to the field yesterday, went over proper footwork for a while, and I measured out to 2B. I have DD make her first throw-down attempt: perfect! I am shocked, but was confident it was a fluke. Then she threw down another perfect one. Then another. She was throwing the ball right at my glove side, waist-level, 9 out of 10 times. The times her throw was off I instructed her to "freeze" in her position and check her foot positioning. Sure enough, improper footwork was causing the errant throws to 2B.

Needless to say, DD and Dad are on cloud 9. If there's anyone on the fence about talking with Austin from AB Development, please reach out to him. I swear it looks like my daughter has been practicing the throw-down for months. I also believe that there's a natural catcher in her, I just couldn't convince her to try it before now:)

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I know the throwing drills/videos by Austin have been posted here before but I can't find them does anybody have access?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We are studying the NECC DVD and we both love it. I won't preach to the choir, you know how good it is. The thing is, we've been doing some work with Austin from AB and DD's throws have gotten insanely better and with more velocity. We specifically do the "sitting hand behind" drill, the "standing hand behind drill" and the "water bottle drill."

So, we're watching the "Throwing" section of the NECC DVD and I was somewhat surprised to see that they teach the catcher to bring his/her throwing hand back into the "L" position before the throw-down which we've pretty much found out by now that's incorrect teaching when learning to throw (along with the wrist-flick drill).

So, being that my DD is working on her throwing, and doing quite well, BTW, we decided to deviate from that portion of the DVD and use the "hand behind" method for the throw-down and change nothing else from what we learned from the DVD. We went down to the field yesterday, went over proper footwork for a while, and I measured out to 2B. I have DD make her first throw-down attempt: perfect! I am shocked, but was confident it was a fluke. Then she threw down another perfect one. Then another. She was throwing the ball right at my glove side, waist-level, 9 out of 10 times. The times her throw was off I instructed her to "freeze" in her position and check her foot positioning. Sure enough, improper footwork was causing the errant throws to 2B.

Needless to say, DD and Dad are on cloud 9. If there's anyone on the fence about talking with Austin from AB Development, please reach out to him. I swear it looks like my daughter has been practicing the throw-down for months. I also believe that there's a natural catcher in her, I just couldn't convince her to try it before now:)

WB - Very exciting news about DD's progress and good observation (and decision) on the throwing! Did you know that NECC's fall/winter training base is now at AB Athletic Development, home of Austin (and Tewks)? Even if you didn't, it shouldn't surprise you to learn that NECC's training has been modified since the video was put out (approx. 5-6 years ago?) to incorporate what Austin is teaching. The state of the art is always being refined!

Good luck and continued fun!

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Inde, here ya go:

WassermanStrength.com

Greeny: Yes, Austin actually told me NECC is revising their throwing mechanics. Didn't know they were based at the same location now. Cool!

Cobra: She's 13 and just started TB, first official practice is this Saturday and HC said to bring down the gear! They already have a catcher but need a 2nd so they are going to start working with her as well as the work we do together from the DVD.

Jan 7, 2013
I can attest to the changes in the NECC throwing methodology. DD attended the summer camp and one of the sessions was focused on the high level throwing concepts taught by Austin. There were also some very slight differences in foot work. Jay is always looking to tune and improve the methods he teaches.

If you live in the North East, you should be flogged if your daughter is not attending next summers camp.

NECC just posted some winter camp info on twitter.

NE Catching Camp ‏@catchingcamp

SAVE THE DATES!

Winter Vaca Camp @ O's Spring Training Complex, FL: Dec 27-29

2-Day Camp in Savannah, GA: Jan 25-26, 2014. More info soon!

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I can attest to the changes in the NECC throwing methodology. DD attended the summer camp and one of the sessions was focused on the high level throwing concepts taught by Austin. There were also some very slight differences in foot work. Jay is always looking to tune and improve the methods he teaches.

If you live in the North East, you should be flogged if your daughter is not attending next summers camp.

NECC just posted some winter camp info on twitter.

NE Catching Camp ‏@catchingcamp

SAVE THE DATES!

Winter Vaca Camp @ O's Spring Training Complex, FL: Dec 27-29

2-Day Camp in Savannah, GA: Jan 25-26, 2014. More info soon!

Thanks for the info, SB. That Georgia trip looks very interesting. Always wanted to visit there.

Feb 5, 2013
I can attest to the changes in the NECC throwing methodology. DD attended the summer camp and one of the sessions was focused on the high level throwing concepts taught by Austin.

I have to take a look at his site more carefully. but I have a hard time deciphering what they are getting at with this 'high level throwing'. Maybe it's my lack of understanding of anatomy or they are purposely being obscure so you need to purchase something to understand it. And $50 for an eBook? For a video, I might consider it ... but people do seem to be giving the technique a lot of merit.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have to take a look at his site more carefully. but I have a hard time deciphering what they are getting at with this 'high level throwing'. Maybe it's my lack of understanding of anatomy or they are purposely being obscure so you need to purchase something to understand it. And $50 for an eBook? For a video, I might consider it ... but people do seem to be giving the technique a lot of merit.

Check out the ebook link High Level Throwing E-Book

"The High Level Throwing eBook is a combination of a 90 page book with over 70 instructional videos on throwing patterns by position, throwing progressions, throwing drills and pre & post throwing protocols. The instructional videos are placed after specific thoughts or concepts to keep readers interested and engaged in the information!"

If I were you and wanted to help my DD learn to throw properly (and better) I'd spend $50 on the ebook before I bought private lessons, a new bat, a new glove, new cleats, batting cage time, a tank of gas, dinner...

Feb 5, 2013
If I were you and wanted to help my DD learn to throw properly (and better) I'd spend $50 on the ebook before I bought private lessons, a new bat, a new glove, new cleats, batting cage time, a tank of gas, dinner...

That's pretty strong praise, which is nice to hear.

My major concern is that the website is incredibly detailed about what is going on anatomically. Example:

As the hips become extended, there is back leg femoral movement. The hips are opening up while the trunk is still closed and turned back against the hips. The femur is internally rotating in the acetabulum (hip socket) as the trunk turns back against the hips.

I consider myself fairly well educated and not entirely dim, but I don't want to buy anything that requires a PhD in Physiology to follow along. But maybe those who have it can convince me otherwise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA