Catchers Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
The 34" mitt are to big for an older catcher

Please be careful with blanket statements. Different manufacturers design their gloves with differing depth of pocket. My daughter's first glove was a 33 inch Praying Mantis. New it was as flat as a dinner plate and broke in in days. (It lasted a season and was falling apart) The thing looked more like a 35 inch mitt than a 33 inch. Worth and Vinci have deeper pockets. The 34" Vinci looks no bigger than the 33 inch. It plays like a smaller glove due to the deep pocket. The 34 inch I mentioned earlier was for a H/S freshman who was so excited to make varsity!

IMG_0844.jpgIMG_0849.jpg

Aug 14, 2013
Please be careful with blanket statements. Different manufacturers design their gloves with differing depth of pocket. My daughter's first glove was a 33 inch Praying Mantis. New it was as flat as a dinner plate and broke in in days. (It lasted a season and was falling apart) The thing looked more like a 35 inch mitt than a 33 inch. Worth and Vinci have deeper pockets. The 34" Vinci looks no bigger than the 33 inch. It plays like a smaller glove due to the deep pocket. The 34 inch I mentioned earlier was for a H/S freshman who was so excited to make varsity!

View attachment 5398View attachment 5399

Both of my 12u catchers (One is DD) use 34" gloves. My DD had a 33" Wilson A600 and had to use my 34" Mizuno GXS92 at one of the practices. She claimed it as her own and never went back to the 33". Our other catcher borrowed it one practice and showed up to the next practice with the 34" GSX92. I Agree there seems to be quite a bit of difference between manufacturers in terms of sizing. Would really like to check out the Vinci 34".

Nov 21, 2012
New England
1 vote for Mizuno classic fastpitch gsx31 34.5". DD is not a catcher but this is the glove I use to catch her. This is a really nice, high quality mitt. Retails over $200 but can be found on sale for $160 or less. I actually got mine on ebay auction for $70 and that's a steal for this mitt. Seemed a little small at first but as it started to break in it just formed around my hand. Very stiff when new (as most top leather gloves are) but once the pocket is formed it just locks the ball in. Also has great pop when you catch it in the pocket as I suspect most top leather glove do.
The only "negative" I've noticed is that the padding in the palm is minimal. But, that being said, if you are catching the ball there with anyone throwing over 50 it is going to hurt, no matter if you have an extra 1/8" of foam or not.
I have not used the vinci, they look like awesome mitts, but I have used the mizuno gsx92, which is a really good catcher's mitt for someone stepping up from using a first base mitt or fielder's glove to catch. Also have had the akadema AEA65 (discontinued) which is also a decent starter mitt, (not as nice as the mizunos) but pretty much a first base mitt with a padded thumb and it went floppy fairly quickly.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
What is the mileage on a Vinci? Anyone ever wear one out?

I have been a rep for about a year now and we have tracked some local players to keep up with how their gloves are doing. We worked with a catcher recently who got her red white and black mesh series a year ago and used it every single game last year. (And she caught nearly every single game as well!) Color fading is minimal and the leather is extremely soft and supple. Palm padding is holding up very well to boot! Here's a video snapshots from our session.

Snapshot 1 (3-22-2014 6-52 PM) Vinci.jpg

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
My daughter has used her Vinci for 18 months now, for travel and HS ball, and it has held up phenomenally well. Zero issues at all, including the mesh. The padding is still in great shape and what Chaz said about the "POP" is definitely true. It's a loud glove and the pitchers love it.

My younger daughter's 34" Nokona BC is significantly larger than the 34" Vinci JVC-VM. Her old Worth Liberty 33" was smaller though. The Vinci fits in between the two very nicely and has far better palm protection than either of the other two. I wouldn't be surprised if the young one is in a Vinci by next year.

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that it's hard to keep the mesh clean. She wipes down the glove every week and treats it every couple of months, and the mesh tends to stay pretty dirty. Small price to pay.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
My advise: Skip Mizuno.

I bought the GSX-31, DD loved it for about three months. Large pocket, H-web locked in the ball, quick break-in, etc. THEN, the problems started. She ended up with a strained thumb, there is absolutely no support to keep the thumb in place, and catching at 60+ mph it needed stabilization. Three weeks off, and she felt great-until the mitt went on. We ended up replacing it, a nice $220 bucks out the window. The doctor said she'd end up with a ripped thumb if she used it. So another payment for a new mitt, and she met another catcher with the same Mizuno mitt, same thumb problems, and doesn't have the option to replace it. That girls is likely out for the season.

We purchased a Nokona but she loves the H-web design of the Vinci, and Nokona options for LHT are definitely restricted.

DD is 16yr old catcher playing Travel/select level A and varsity.

(originally posted she has a -92, it is a gxs 31)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
My advise: Skip Mizuno.

I bought the GSX-92, DD loved it for about three months. Large pocket, H-web locked in the ball, quick break-in, etc. THEN, the problems started. She ended up with a strained thumb, there is absolutely no support to keep the thumb in place, and catching at 60+ mph it needed stabilization. Three weeks off, and she felt great-until the mitt went on. We ended up replacing it, a nice $220 bucks out the window. The doctor said she'd end up with a ripped thumb if she used it. So another payment for a new mitt, and she met another catcher with the same Mizuno mitt, same thumb problems, and doesn't have the option to replace it. That girls is likely out for the season.

We purchased a Nokona but she loves the H-web design of the Vinci, and Nokona options for LHT are definitely restricted.

DD is 16yr old catcher playing Travel/select level A and varsity.

IMO, every catcher - no matter what mitt they are using, or what age group - should be using some sort of additional thumb protection like the EvoShield Thumb Guard.

As for the Miz GXS92, I was playing catch in the street with my 9yo and 15yo DDs this weekend using this mitt (not even all the way broken in yet). I took a throw from my 15yo off the end of my thumb that hurt me pretty good, and ended my participation in our throwing session. Comparing the GXS92 side-by-side with my 9yo DD's Vinci JVC-22, it's clear how lacking the Miz is by comparison. The same catch with the Vinci wouldn't even have been noticed.

My DD is currently recovering from a playground injury to the pinky on her left hand. Although she isn't comfortable yet catching our starting pitcher, the protection offered by the Vinci allowed her to catch for our backup pitcher in yesterday's game.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2009
Which Vinci mitt would be a good fit for a Dad? If it helps I use an XL glove for golfing.

I was thinking the JCV34 might fit best but it looks like it is out of stock and I can't find it anywhere. Do you have any ideas where I can find one?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi