Calling up Flies - who's ball is it anyway?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We have a girl on our U18 team who has great speed and great skills and has moved from IF to OF and seems to be handling the duties extremely well.

We had a game the other day where a flyball was hit to RF and the girl in question came flying over from CF and called it up. The RF was surprised as it was almost in her glove so she had to stop short as the other girl crashed into her and the ball dropped in behind the two of them. The charging CF was hurt somehow and came out of the game.

Rewind 6 years to U12 and the kid did the same thing in the IF. pop fly to 1B, 1B is under it and she comes running over yelling "igotitigotitigotit". crashes into 1B who holds onto the ball as the two fall over the bag into foul territory.
Later Same season, playoff game easy pop fly to 3B and she does the same thing, Crashes into 3B only this time she knocked the ball out of the 3B glove as they fell.

My question - If a ball is hit in the air to an outfielder and the CF is also going for it, shouldn't the CF be the one to determine if she has the best shot or should work around the other player to Back her up? If it's between them and both are going for it and both are calling it, at what point does a player relinquish control to the other? I think of the CF as the Captain of the OF and as such I would think she works with everyone else rather than everyone else having to work around her.

Or am I being over-sensitive because I know the kids history? There was supposed to be a college scout there who is interested in her and I'm thinking she might've been more excited than usual and trying to show off. Her father is the HC and is typically very even handed. Whenever she runs into someone else's territory to steal a play, her mother always makes a point of stating that her DD called it therefore it is no one else's ball but hers.

who's ball is it anyway?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
We have a younger Team and DD is going to be reunited with a player that runs over people, she is a CF too.

She worries the infields and outfielders, they hear her footsteps coming at them.

Not my DD’s favorite player to be on the field with because she does what you stated in your post.

I am also interested in the responses to your post.

Jul 2, 2013
The CF is in charge, to the left, to the right, AND in front. If she calls players off, they should look to back up. If I were playing LF or RF, I would make sure to cover the lines, and not get beat there.

Let the head coach handle it after that. Sounds like a terrific CF, but lacks some judgement if she is running into players already under the ball. It is her call to make, but she sounds like she is not making good judgements.

A good Head Coach will teach her out of it, but that being her dad, probably not. Better to be more agressive, for you can easily back players down. It is harder to ramp them up.

It is the HC (Dads) fault, not the player. Don't listen to Mom.

Last edited:

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
SCDad has the right slant on the overall situation. It seams this young lady needs to revisit the " there is no I in TEAM " discussion. I get the impression that she feels she is the only player capable of fielding a fly ball. Showing respect for your team mates skill will go a long way in building team chemistry.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
thanks for the responses.
Another thing that happened today was a girl hit a home run over her head. it was only about 6' high when it cleared the fence, but her aggresiveness seemed to peter out when she had to go back toward the fence.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
True- but she's also quick with excuses and to blame others. After the collision, she kept saying " I called it!" (So did the RF) She also has a history of getting "hurt" after she blows a play. You are right, though, I was just sayin'......

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Be nice, that is a hard play that is not practiced.

I agree, although I would substitute the word ''appreciated'' for ''practiced.'' My daughter's teams have spent a fair amount of time on it. Maybe not enough, but it's not ignored. But dealing with fly balls when players are running hard toward each other is hard. I watched the Cardinals-Braves three-game series this weekend, and it happened three times that balls dropped that should've been caught as outfielders were not on the same page. My daughter was watching one of them, and I sarcastically said, ''You've got to communicate out there girls!" It happens to the best of 'em.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild