Calling up Flies - who's ball is it anyway?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Most coaches teach the CF to get anything the can. If the CF calls the ball it's her ball period. In your situation did the RF call for the ball? If she did, the CF should have not called it, but once she did the RF needs to peel off. If she didn't call it I can't blame the CF at all for calling it. As the kids get bigger the field shrinks so some can cover a lot of ground. The big issue as a team is that you need to trust that if you call and have priority on the ball that you trust that the others will let you go for it.

May 17, 2012
The CF needs to call the ball at it's highest point and not wait until the last second.

The CF needs to catch the ball if they call it. I can't tell you how many times I see an OF call for the ball and not actually catch it.

Jun 18, 2013
Our baseball rule has always been that higher number position takes priority in the IF and CF takes priority in OF.

For example, pop up between home and first. Pitcher(1) and FB(3) charge it and both call for ball. Pitcher backs off because FB has priority. If 2B(4) calls it then both Pitcher and FB back off.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Do they teach the CF how to play her position? Why I ask some don't. Example dd learned long ago when she goes into CF she walks from the fence 8 large steps. She now knows exactly how many steps she can run before running into the fence.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Do they teach the CF how to play her position? Why I ask some don't. Example dd learned long ago when she goes into CF she walks from the fence 8 large steps. She now knows exactly how many steps she can run before running into the fence.
Does she play every batter in the same position?

Jun 24, 2013
Also I would think that if you had to run hard to get to a ball versus a player that only has to move a short way then the person who has to move less gets the ball, (meaning between OF players). We were always taught that the person calling for it multiple times has priority. If it is a case of over zealouness of the CF, I would have a talk with her. If she is being greedy and trying to steal the spotlight (see "gets hurt" on plays she messes up on for a clue) then I would have a talk with her as well. With "I" meaning the coach.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Your answer no, but that is her knowledge of the fence location. This was taught to her by a very good elite CF. She is signed to play CF in college. On her 18U team based on scouting we play depth's at 1-2-3. Above would be 3.
Example based on scouting we may call 2-3-1 LF, CF,RF adjust to those depths. Have done this for years in travel ball and high school. We use ISCORE to get spray patterns.

She can makes plays with her speed no one else could make, so she is told to be greedy. One was sliding on her back side while catching the ball behind second base to win a regional game .

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Our baseball rule has always been that higher number position takes priority in the IF and CF takes priority in OF.

For example, pop up between home and first. Pitcher(1) and FB(3) charge it and both call for ball. Pitcher backs off because FB has priority. If 2B(4) calls it then both Pitcher and FB back off.

Yep, higher number takes precedence, except for the CF, who is the great high Poobah (as I call it). ;-) And since all the OF'ers have higher numbers than infielders, it works for the times they're coming in and an infielder is going back also.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Your answer no, but that is her knowledge of the fence location. This was taught to her by a very good elite CF. She is signed to play CF in college. On her 18U team based on scouting we play depth's at 1-2-3. Above would be 3.
Example based on scouting we may call 2-3-1 LF, CF,RF adjust to those depths. Have done this for years in travel ball and high school. We use ISCORE to get spray patterns.

She can makes plays with her speed no one else could make, so she is told to be greedy. One was sliding on her back side while catching the ball behind second base to win a regional game .

Good to know. That is a good tip for judging where the fence is.

I know BB is different than SB due to field size but I would shift quite a bit in OF in BB depending on batter, count and game situations. Some times as much as 75' from "normal" setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild