Be gentle with me, I hang out in the catcher forum...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
If you want the mental side of hitting you have to approach hitting backwards. Try this approach and see what happens.
For a college players if you can hit .300 you are a above avg. player, hit .400 and you are and All American ( people relax this is just to make a point using round numbers ). So lets look at hitting from the reverse side. Tell your dd she can make 6 mistakes every 10 at bats that is striking out, pop up ground out and stress the point that she can mess up 6 times. When you approach hitting this way it does not seem so stressful and the pressure of hitting every at bat is taken away.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Is the 1st 1/2 hour "general discussion" about the mental approach to hitting you should have?....Or does the HC feel your daughter is struggling mentally at the plate, to a point it's affecting her success?

If it's a psychological thing....and if you desire, I recommend you read Dr. Bob Rotella's book....I believe it's called "Golf is a game of confidence".

It's a very quick and easy read. His focus and main clients are golfers, but you can learn a lot, and some strategies that might be of use for you and your daughter.

Also....I believe it was Knight or Ken B...a few year's ago one of them posted a visual aid of the strike-zone...it had a bunch of different colored circles representing different parts of the strike zone; it was excellent. This was a real nice tool to help learn the strike zone, and teach the batter where to focus on. I'll try to dig that up. Might help with something...maybe not now...but perhaps in the future.

Hope this helps,

T

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Is the 1st 1/2 hour "general discussion" about the mental approach to hitting you should have?....Or does the HC feel your daughter is struggling mentally at the plate, to a point it's affecting her success?

If it's a psychological thing....and if you desire, I recommend you read Dr. Bob Rotella's book....I believe it's called "Golf is a game of confidence".

It's a very quick and easy read. His focus and main clients are golfers, but you can learn a lot, and some strategies that might be of use for you and your daughter.

Also....I believe it was Knight or Ken B...a few year's ago one of them posted a visual aid of the strike-zone...it had a bunch of different colored circles representing different parts of the strike zone; it was excellent. This was a real nice tool to help learn the strike zone, and teach the batter where to focus on. I'll try to dig that up. Might help with something...maybe not now...but perhaps in the future.

Hope this helps,

T

It's both a general "mental health" discussion and a hitting approach. Linder covers fears and goals and mental strategies, and since DD won't listen to me any more I'm hoping she'll listen to coach lol! The main reason I signed her up is for the mental discussion, and to help her confidence in her hitting. She's not a bad hitter, but she struggles greatly with letting go of mistakes.