Be gentle with me, I hang out in the catcher forum...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Bear with me, I don't know the terminology for this forum:

Signed DD up for hitting lessons with coach Karen Linder, mainly because the 1st 30 minutes are spent on the mental side of the game and of hitting (with the remaining 60 minutes spent actually working on hitting). DD needs help on the brain side, handling disappointment and such, and it's a well known fact that an old guy like dad can't possibly teach a 13 year old girl anything.

Anyway, in her 1st lesson yesterday they worked through the swing in stages. One of the drills was "swing to contact:" where they slow-mo swing until the bat is almost touching the ball on the tee. I've been working with DD to keep her hands up on her swing, basically using Zepp to compare her swing to Trout's and using the Tewksbury book to help me teach.

I freely admit I am not much of a hitting coach.

Anyway, on the "swing to contact" drill, DD's hands are above the waist-high ball, shoulders are on a plane with the bat. Basically she looks good except she lets her hands lag too much, so the bat is angled backwards some at contact. Every time, coach would have her straighten up, shoulders parallel to the ground, hands at the same level as the ball with the bat parallel to the ground - so her hands ended up at her waist.

Sorry I don't have pics, there was 3 layers of netting between DD and me, phone wouldn't focus on her.

It just seems wrong to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bear with me, I don't know the terminology for this forum:

Signed DD up for hitting lessons with coach Karen Linder, mainly because the 1st 30 minutes are spent on the mental side of the game and of hitting (with the remaining 60 minutes spent actually working on hitting). DD needs help on the brain side, handling disappointment and such, and it's a well known fact that an old guy like dad can't possibly teach a 13 year old girl anything.

Anyway, in her 1st lesson yesterday they worked through the swing in stages. One of the drills was "swing to contact:" where they slow-mo swing until the bat is almost touching the ball on the tee. I've been working with DD to keep her hands up on her swing, basically using Zepp to compare her swing to Trout's and using the Tewksbury book to help me teach.

I freely admit I am not much of a hitting coach.

Anyway, on the "swing to contact" drill, DD's hands are above the waist-high ball, shoulders are on a plane with the bat. Basically she looks good except she lets her hands lag too much, so the bat is angled backwards some at contact. Every time, coach would have her straighten up, shoulders parallel to the ground, hands at the same level as the ball with the bat parallel to the ground - so her hands ended up at her waist.

Sorry I don't have pics, there was 3 layers of netting between DD and me, phone wouldn't focus on her.

It just seems wrong to me?

What you describe here is one of the fastest ways to ruin a swing.

Run, don't walk, but run to the nearest exit.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
What you describe here is one of the fastest ways to ruin a swing.

Run, don't walk, but run to the nearest exit.

Kind of what I figured. I can't get out of the lessons, unfortunately, but there are only 4 more in the series. I'll try to keep DD's head in the game - coach only corrected her during the slo-mo portion.

How does such a successful, long time collegiate coach get to this point?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Kind of what I figured. I can't get out of the lessons, unfortunately, but there are only 4 more in the series. I'll try to keep DD's head in the game - coach only corrected her during the slo-mo portion.

You might be shocked at how much poor information is being taught by college coaches and ex-college-player instructors.

Sep 29, 2014

By simply constantly repeating what they were taught and not taking the time to actually study and learn. Look in the model hitting section there are hitters hitting balls just under the letters and there is still some shoulder tilt and hands are higher than the ball. Try putting a ball thigh high or lower on a tee and swing slowly with your shoulders level and hands at the same level with the ball and bat parallel to the ground, it's basically a physical impossibility.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
CabreraContact.gif

miggy_grid.gif

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
By simply constantly repeating what they were taught and not taking the time to actually study and learn. Look in the model hitting section there are hitters hitting balls just under the letters and there is still some shoulder tilt and hands are higher than the ball. Try putting a ball thigh high or lower on a tee and swing slowly with your shoulders level and hands at the same level with the ball and bat parallel to the ground, it's basically a physical impossibility.

But the college coach said....

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I've been trying to teach her what rdbass posted up above, and that's how she's been looking with the exception of the lagging hands/bat head. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely missing something. Thanks!