Backing up First

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
Of course catchers should back up first base as long as the bases are open.

Edited to add: The RF should be crashing in towards 1B as well providing the ball does not leave the infield and the bases are empty.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is a must for 18U Catchers. I coach a Nationally know Showcase Organization and we have them back up 1st. College Coaches love the hustle, it helps with pops on foul balls and bunts, and we get one or 2 outs a year on over throws and save a lot of runners from advancing. My daughter is a catcher at the NCAA level and this was how she was first noticed by coaches when she was in 14U. We had several coaches looking for catchers say that she was the only one they saw at several Showcases that trailed runners. We also start our throw around the horn with a recorded out by the first baseman flipping the ball to the catcher in foul territory. Mine like the fact that it keeps her legs loose and warm, as well. No longer can you hide a out of shape player with a good bat behind the plate. Catchers must be quick, athletic, and tough.

I am sure college coaches love the hustle, but most 18U showcase teams have 3 catchers and probably a 4th as a secondary position. A lot of the younger age groups have two and most of the time there is a primary and a secondary, and the secondary only catches to give the primary a break. Therefore, a coach has to weigh the options of potentially gassing their #1 catcher backing up 1B vs. trying to maximize her time behind the plate.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Teach her not to race them down the line. As stated above angles are the key to using this. No need to beat a runner down the line then have the thrown go behind her trailing. GOOD PRACTICE to get young catchers into.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
If your #1 Catcher is getting tired by running down the line 10-15 times per game I would get a more in shape catcher. Should have NO EFFECT one her technical ability behind the plate. Her presentation, picking, blocking and concentration should not be any different. Ay showcases they what athletes. Coaches are looking to turn catchers to corner infielders as well as catchers at the next level. If they can hit they will find the field.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
If your #1 Catcher is getting tired by running down the line 10-15 times per game I would get a more in shape catcher. Should have NO EFFECT one her technical ability behind the plate. Her presentation, picking, blocking and concentration should not be any different. Ay showcases they what athletes. Coaches are looking to turn catchers to corner infielders as well as catchers at the next level. If they can hit they will find the field.

10-15 times per game in a tournament with a handful of doubles or triples in 100+ temperature playing multiple games. What else do you want your catcher to do for you? That player is already expected to give you her all behind the plate. The way i look at is, a passed ball at 1st with no one on base is an extra base, a pass ball behind the plate with a runner on 3rd is an extra run. An extra run late in the game will hurt a team more then an extra base early in a game. These are athletes, not machines they do feel fatigue eventually so to say it has "NO EFFECT" is false. 1 sloppy block is all it takes. I get it, catchers need to be in shape and it shows hustle and I don't doubt that it helps catchers get noticed by scouts

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
10-15 times per game in a tournament with a handful of doubles or triples in 100+ temperature playing multiple games. What else do you want your catcher to do for you?

I want my catcher backing up 1st base.

That player is already expected to give you her all behind the plate. The way i look at is, a passed ball at 1st with no one on base is an extra base, a pass ball behind the plate with a runner on 3rd is an extra run. An extra run late in the game will hurt a team more then an extra base early in a game. These are athletes, not machines they do feel fatigue eventually so to say it has "NO EFFECT" is false. 1 sloppy block is all it takes.

It's not like the catcher is running constantly during the inning. On average they are trailing 1-2 times an inning, and every 2 innings or so the catcher gets to rest during their team's at bat.

I get it, catchers need to be in shape and it shows hustle and I don't doubt that it helps catchers get noticed by scouts

It definitely gets noticed. Catchers are a different breed and scouts/coaches are looking for that difference. Not only are the scouts/coaches looking for physical catching ability; they are looking for grit, command, and knowlege.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Yep High level catchers are a different breed. It does get noticed, mostly the ones that do not do it. We had a D-1 coach looking at a 2017 catcher 3 weeks ago. We started her and she caught the first 3 innings and did a nice job, did not trail the runner. When we put our committed D-2 catcher in and she did, that coach asked us about that player, and could he talk to her before she signed. The unsigned player never got any response back from that coach.

IT GETS NOTICED.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I saw it this weekend at a showcase. The catcher was right behind my runner and on the overthrow, Catcher was too close to back up, therfore the ball skipped right by her for a free trip to 2nd. Some of these coaches are more into flash and flare and not teaching sound fandamentals.

Sep 29, 2014
I saw it this weekend at a showcase. The catcher was right behind my runner and on the overthrow, Catcher was too close to back up, therfore the ball skipped right by her for a free trip to 2nd. Some of these coaches are more into flash and flare and not teaching sound fandamentals.

Which is exactly to my point, playing smart...knowing what angle the throw is coming from also how much room there is to the fence matters more for both the catcher and the RF than aimlessly running full speed to impress somebody.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Not saying which way I support.

Ill just say I asked a couple of the coaches at the WCWS as well as a hall of fame retired coach who was present. All said "of course the catcher backs up first" in certain situations.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish