Backing up First

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Which is exactly to my point, playing smart...knowing what angle the throw is coming from also how much room there is to the fence matters more for both the catcher and the RF than aimlessly running full speed to impress somebody.

I will have my catchers do it...most of the time when all three catchers are healthy. This past weekend I was down to 1 catcher, due to tournament injuries, in 85° temps with 3 games to go. She wasn't going to trail any runner down the line at that point. As it was, she ended up hurting her foot and later took a foul tip to the groin.

Yeah, she wasn't allowed to trail a runner.

Mar 19, 2014
Teach her not to race them down the line. As stated above angles are the key to using this. No need to beat a runner down the line then have the thrown go behind her trailing. GOOD PRACTICE to get young catchers into.

I assume this is directed toward me. Maybe I phrased it wrong with her goal to beat the batter. She only runs to where she has a angle for the over throw. If it's to the left side she goes all the way down the line to be in line with the overthrow. If it's to the right side she only goes to where she needs to be to have the right angle. She's our only catcher right now and it was 99 where we played Sunday and she caught 3 consecutive games and hustled down the line every time. She's a work horse, even though she's only 10 she has set her goals for life and softball and does everything she can to achieve these goals.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
DD's team was at a showcase this weekend. I don't think I saw any catchers running back up. DD did and saved an extra base (go ahead run) by stopping the runner at first. That just reinforced the habit for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish