Assistant coach goes AWOL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Idaho
Okay so I have another issue! How about the parent who wants to be a AC because his daughter is on the team? I manage a 12U ASA team and have a parent who is certified to be an AC but has told me the only reason he wants to be is to help his daughter. I explained to him we have to look out for all of the girls, and teach them as a team. Well two practices later his DD shows up to practice on crutches and says she hurt her ankle trying to pitch at home. I ask the player you have never shown an interest in pitching what happend? She explains to me that her dad the "AC" said "pitching looks easy lets go out back and work on it" and well she twisted her ankle and is out for 2 to 3 weeks. She has shown up to 2 of the practices since she was injured and now has not shown up for over a week and a half..... NOW WHAT?????????

Thanks Everyone! !

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
ACs need to follow the same Team rules as the Players. Notify HC when they’re going to be late, not going to be there, etc. Games and practices.

DD was hurt 1st ½ of last year and did not attend many practices or games. She was 9 and is not a good spectator. HC wanted her there more even though she could not participate and I told the coach no, she was not coming much until she was healed. Team picture day one player asked DD who she was and what she was doing in their Team picture. :) Not ideal but the way it was.

Since I had the privilege of being an AC, and made the commitment, I was at every practice and game. I do not think DD has ever had had a season were I did not attend more practices then she has. If DD was not playing on the Team I would not be an AC, if I was not the AC they would not have seen much of me either until DD was ready to play.

You might have waited too long to address the Issue because their DD is almost healed so they both will be showing up to practice shortly but you need to find a new AC next year. You also need to talk to them about what it means to have the privilege of being an AC.

Communication is one of the most important skills of any coach and it sounds like this might be missing on both your parts.

Jan 24, 2011
Both the player and the AC should still be coming to all practices. Even with the injury , the player can still observe and learn. The AC has an obligation to meet as well.

Jul 1, 2010
Sounds like the AC wasn't kidding when he said he only wanted to coach his daughter!

I think injured players should attend. They can learn from watching. DD was hurt earlier this year and although no one said anything I required her to go to all practices. She got tired of being the bucket girl (picking up balls and moving buckets for coaches) however, when she came back she was able to step in and compete more quickly because she knew offensive and defensive signals, plays and expectations.

I do think that if they have a contagious condition such as mono, strep, fever, etc that it is best for them and the team if they recover first.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Unfortunately, my DD has had several injuries the past few years. She always attended every practice and every game. As Dog310 said, she was learning plays and signs at practice and was on the bench cheering on her team at games. She also helped keep score or pitch counts. There's more to being a teammate than just being on the field.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This AC is clearly trouble. Set some ground rules now if you have not done so before. Since his DD can't drive herself to practice, her level of commitment to the team will be a direct reflection of his commitment, or lack thereof. The earlier you deal with this, the less damage it will do to the rest of your team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors