Anyone familiar with Denny Tincher and his 'fluid dynamics' pitching style?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2010
I do not wish to turn this into a contest and I am not working for Denny Tincher. I know Hillhouse has helped many and that is great. We have never had an opportunity to work with him. What I do know is that Denny has helped my DD tremendously. She was one of his early success stories, and has been working with him for 2 plus years. She was a tall, strong, very hard thrower who slapped glove and closed hip slightly when we first started with him. She has focused on one step at a time, and now has great spin and movement to go with speed. His style/form puts the body in a great position to pitch with minimum stress on the shoulder, elbow, etc. There is also a much higher ceiling for her to progress to as a result of her change.

Denny's best quality is his constant desire to learn more, and he encourages tweaks to his teachings if they work better for that individual. He has been a blessing for us, and I would recommend going to one of his clinics if he gets to your area.

May 17, 2012
To the noobies, you will soon discover that many on this forum think there are only two people that know how to properly teach young girls the proper form and mechanics.

The best person qualified to coach my DD is myself. What do I know about pitching? I know enough the difference between the correct pitching form and the incorrect pitching form for my DD. Where do I go to get help to fix issues? I go to Hillhouses videos, BoardMembers posts in this forum and her local PC.

Every DD is different but the core principles of pitching are universal in my opinion. Nobody sees my DD pitch and practice more than I do. My biggest attribute as her pitching coach is to know that I don't know everything and seek out those that do.

These other coaches may have different "styles" but you had better make sure their "core" movements are the ones that high-level pitchers are using.

Feb 19, 2009
I agree that there is definitely some marketing going on here , but it has peaked my interest (and my DD isnt a pitcher). I am just a coach trying to learn more about pitching. I had no idea who Hillhouse was before I came to this site. But , I have now watched a lot of videos and read a ton of threads. Now with Tincher being introduced by others , I would like to compare.

GloryCoach10 is affiliated with an acadamy based travel team that brings Denny in to their facility for lessons frequently and is promoted on each team's website as their pitching coach or consultant. Even though GC10 and other first timers posts read like infomercials I think they are sincere and I'm sure it's not comming from Denny himself to promote his business.

I will share this personal anecdote about Denny. Sometime about a year and a half to two years ago my older dd, who has never been to Denny, started experiencing some back pain. I started a thread about it here and briefly posted a video of her pitching which drew a reply from one of the regulars that she was pitching all wrong and that she needed to use the method "invented" by this person. A private email exchange revealled to me that this person had nothing remotely new or original to offer, just the same-old, same-old about long stride, don't close hips or hello elbow, yadda, yadda. I should probably state that I respect a lot of the posters here but any online community is going to have a charlatan or two.

I sent the video to Denny even though my older dd had never had a lesson with him to ask his opinion because I remember him discussing Angela's back and other health issues at my younger dd's first lesson. He spent a lot of time on the phone with me reviewing the video and said that he didn't see anything mechanically in her that should be causing the pain but pointed out the spots where existing pain could be aggravated. He said that even a pitcher with perfect mechanics can get imbalances from repetitive motion that combined with a teenage growth spurt make back pain issues very common. He suggested finding a good sports chiropractor which we ultimately did and she's been pitching pain free ever since.

I'm sure he wouldn't take credit for fixing my dd's back pain but I did appreciate the pro-bono time he gave to help us fix this.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
To the noobies, you will soon discover that many on this forum think there are only two people that know how to properly teach young girls the proper form and mechanics.
Well I don't fall into that statement. I agree that there are more then just 2 PC out there that teach the proper form and mechanics. It just seems a little funny that 3 new posters have came on board in one day and talk about Denny. To be honest, back 3 years ago, I was looking at Denny.The 6 or more hour drive to go to him was the problem. I'm not saying that he is bad. He looks to be really good at teaching and learning about pitching and that is great for girls and women in this sport. Just when they started all the posting at once, that's what made me a little suspect.

Jul 26, 2010
I'm a big Angela Tincher fan, so I'm open to learning. Sounds like Denny cares and is a student of the art, which is a huge plus. I guess there's an automatic bad juju feeling due to another famous pitchers father and the horribad mechanics he teaches. It isn't fair to Denny that the prejudice is there.

-W

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
M2C =
It sounds to me like he is a smart instructor. Sounds to me like he LISTENS to his clients and crafts a custom plan for them. I can see how this would be successful. Especially coupled with a charismatic person who comes across as truly caring about the sport. There are too many PC's out there who when a new client comes to them they "rebuild" their style. I am not saying all do this just that there are many who do. I think if the core mechanics (that are correct for a base level of pitching) are there and a coach can bring out the best by working with the pitcher on doing things based on what they are already comfortable with, well that is just great stuff. Not new, ingenius or ground breaking....Just smart instruction. Great thread. I look forward to the one that I expect to see split off of this ...Hillhouse compared to Tencher. Not sure one is better than the other. Just that both sound like GREAT Teachers.

Oct 9, 2012
GloryCoach10 is affiliated with an acadamy based travel team that brings Denny in to their facility for lessons frequently and is promoted on each team's website as their pitching coach or consultant. Even though GC10 and other first timers posts read like infomercials I think they are sincere and I'm sure it's not comming from Denny himself to promote his business.

I will share this personal anecdote about Denny. Sometime about a year and a half to two years ago my older dd, who has never been to Denny, started experiencing some back pain. I started a thread about it here and briefly posted a video of her pitching which drew a reply from one of the regulars that she was pitching all wrong and that she needed to use the method "invented" by this person. A private email exchange revealled to me that this person had nothing remotely new or original to offer, just the same-old, same-old about long stride, don't close hips or hello elbow, yadda, yadda. I should probably state that I respect a lot of the posters here but any online community is going to have a charlatan or two.

I sent the video to Denny even though my older dd had never had a lesson with him to ask his opinion because I remember him discussing Angela's back and other health issues at my younger dd's first lesson. He spent a lot of time on the phone with me reviewing the video and said that he didn't see anything mechanically in her that should be causing the pain but pointed out the spots where existing pain could be aggravated. He said that even a pitcher with perfect mechanics can get imbalances from repetitive motion that combined with a teenage growth spurt make back pain issues very common. He suggested finding a good sports chiropractor which we ultimately did and she's been pitching pain free ever since.

I'm sure he wouldn't take credit for fixing my dd's back pain but I did appreciate the pro-bono time he gave to help us fix this.

Yes, Denny regularly works with about 6-7 pitchers and several coaches in the Glory organization. It's been a pleasure working with him and I'm always happy to endorse him. It's been an awesome experience. Hey, we all know there are thousands of girls and parents who love their coaches. I'm just glad to see Tincher Fluid Dynamics bubbling to the surface and people taking notice. I plan on buying the training program, too. Just came out this week and I understand that Angela is involved in the project. I'll do another post after checking out the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole