Another "we have no scholarship money thread:)"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
If there are any high school players who do think they'd like to go the Ivy route, be sure to take the SAT II (subject) tests. It is easiest if you take a test right after completing the course, so it is good to plan ahead. For example, if you are going to take the SAT II in Biology, you may want to take the test right after completing Biology, which is Freshman or Sophomore year for most kids.

There are many other schools besides the Ivys which require the SAT II (usually in 2-3 subject areas) so make sure you look at the admissions requirements of the schools you are interested and get all of your ducks in a row. If you are already a high school junior or senior don't panic - just choose two tests that are closest to your academic strengths. You may need to spend a weekend or three studying.

My husband and I both used our sports to attend schools which we otherwise would not have been admitted to, and the experience gave us so much. I highly recommend it for anyone out there - heck if I can do it, anyone can (really!!).

May 23, 2010
Good advice Indiana. I am surprised by the number of folks that don't know about the SAT Subject Tests (or SAT IIs or Achievement Tests). I took four of them and DH took a few, though I don't think we were that knowledgeable about college admissions in HS. Eldest took one at end of sophomore year and middle kid took two at end of sophomore year (and already had one SAT I testing during sophomore year).

Perhaps because my kids are not so athletically inclined, and are DIII material at best, I strongly favor looking for academic dollars. As long as you maintain a certain GPA, no one will take away those dollars. Typically the merit aid is good for four years. For those schools that give merit aid, go for 2100+ SAT or 32+ ACT for the best merit offers. There are awards for lower scores, though you typically won't see the 1/2 to full tuition awards for lower scores. Head over to College Confidential to see lists of merit aid. (Then try to convince your kids to go to one of those schools once they have the scores - that is the tough part and did not work with the eldest!)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We knew nothing about SAT subject tests when my son started the college process until we met with a paid College Adviser. He signed up for the Math II & Physics which he did very well on and help him out with admission to several selective schools. My DD has already taken the Chemistry SAT last spring and will be taking Math II in December. If you are planning on going into any kind of impacted major, these tests can set you apart from similar candidates. This applies if you are looking just academically or in conjunction with college softball.

I highly recommend taking at least 2 if you are planning on going into any STEM major.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck