Another "we have no scholarship money thread:)"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Ivy League

One other thought - if I remember right your DD is an excellent student. Has she ever considered the Ivy League? There is no athletic money per se, but they have such enormous endowments that I've heard that it's possibly one of the best bargains out there. And they recruit at an appropriate age. Again - just a thought.[/QUOTE
She's smart, but not that smart:(
Remember she does have some of my genes in her. .. That doesn't help.

Oct 10, 2011
I Agree

Yes, they want walk ons, basically, but be realistic, the answer is simply the by-product of you waiting too long to look (don't feel bad, very common as the age for verballing has dropped drastically just in the last 5 years), so you need to look at the incoming recruits and see where the holes are. Because it is tough for the walk on to get playing time.
I think you nailed it. The D3 schools seem to be very generous in financial help.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If the coach is honorable and it is a school that she would attend, whether they had softball or not, she might inquire as to money available for her sophomore year.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The good thing is the academic money is safe no matter what and they have great education programs.

Depends on the scholarship. My niece had an academic scholarship that required you maintain a certain GPA, and in her case I believe the cumulative GPA to keep the scholarship increased each year. While she did graduate in 4 years, she did not keep the academic scholarship all 4 years.

This can be a big factor for a student athlete who has many hours of practice on top of academic work.

Mar 26, 2013
We've been to several schools that have told the entire group...we have no/or very little scholarship money available. Some say they have it if you are a great pitcher, etc...
What are your thoughts on if the school says they really want you to be a part of the program, have no money to offer, but will wave out of state tuition for playing, and help with academic money. Do you think that they must not want you that much or they do because they are willing to help with other money?
Was there any indication they were talking about specific HS grad years or was it in general? Were these schools D-I or D-II? D-II's only have 7.2 scholarships to work with - at most. Not all programs are fully funded, so they may be working with less than the NCAA max.

Out-of-state tuition waivers count against the athletic scholarship limit if it is awarded based in any degree on athletics ability. Waivers that are available to athletes and non-athletes alike would be exempt. If they really are giving waivers preferentially to athletes, they may not be fully funded and the school doesn't count those waivers against their scholarship budget.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Keep looking and take your time. I know it is hard to see when you are deep into it, but there really is time. Rising Stars was just in my backyard last weekend and I was told there was a lot of interest and active recruiting of uncommitted upper class players.

Some teams are going to explore seeing if they can get your DD for nothing (which is great for them) but may come back with something better when it is clear there is a lot of interest elsewhere or even next year as their rosters turn over. And there is nothing wrong with you saying that is the case (i.e. "You say you can offer nothing, but we already have colleges that are showing they can cover a substantial amount. If you are really interested in having me play here, what can you really do to help me out.").

Consider the whole scholarship offer and what your DD is willing to do. Academic money is as good as athletic money. There are also many, many other programs/endowments/etc you can seek out and find. There are some weird ones out there (one girl I know is getting $5,000 per year for the sole reason she owns a foreign passport and there is some private endowment for that at the college she attends)

Different to OLIF's view, we have found good, non-committed Seniors who are willing to wait it out, are able to get better offers as college teams realize they need a XXX for next season. It can be stressful, but if she can play she will find a home. We had several players end up in colleges where they were recent coaching changes as well as many who ended up on teams on teams that had some major injury issues. Open up the divisions and what colleges to consider as well - the top half of NAIA colleges can be excellent places to land to play and offer some great educational programs. JUCO's are great options as well - it might not be as prestigious but you get a chance to play, improve and then transfer with 2 years eligibility left to a 4-year school.

Don't know where you are located, but we have had success with girls who attended this individual showcase with mid-level college recruiting for universities most Florida girls would never have considered (or heard of in some cases): USA Elite November Showcase If you have interest PM me and I can help as I know the people who run this event pretty well now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32