Amanda describes her follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Many of you ask about the "right" way to follow through your pitch. This slow motion video is a great example of showing what happens after you snap. Watch close as I am releasing as to what happens to my hand. It kind of turns over AFTER I release the ball. What you will find interesting is that I was not thinking about forcing my hand to do that - no one told me to finish my hand like that. But this is called Pronation. If you slowed your daughter down on video, she would naturally do it too, unless she is FORCING herself to do keep her palm up. You want to finish naturally after you release the ball.

Ideally, your goal at release is to spin the ball as tight as you can, almost like an impulse that occurs at the end of your pitch. After you snap, there should be a relaxation of almost following the ball in with your hand towards the catcher, not forcing your hand up to a particular finish that someone told you to do. Let your arm be loose through your snap. Tight spin, loose finish.

This is a controversial topic as different coaches will coach different things on WHERE to finish. I would not tell my pitchers that there is one spot that they HAVE to finish their pitch. The only guidelines I say is that your fingers should be inside your wrist, wrist inside your elbow, elbow inside your shoulder. If you put your arm right now into that position, you will be able to see what I am talking about. If anything, your hand should finish palm down (after pronation occurs naturally) NOT palm facing towards you. With that being said, the thing that REALLY matters most is that you are doing at your actual release point and the position of your hand, trying to spin the ball as tight as possible and relaxing around after.

This video was taken today in California while shooting pitching videos for our training app, My Packaged Deal.

amanda_arm_follow_zpsyc1fso8j.gif

She has been posting other content similar to this on her facebook page here.

Apr 12, 2015
Mad respect for Amanda. Her coaching style has truly evolved from where it was just a few years ago. A talented young woman who cares about what she does and continues to refine and evolve her instructions rather than selling a brand.

Kudos to a very impressive young lady.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I'm happy to see she's not forcing the same crap down these kids throats that everyone else is. It does help when someone famous jumps in the bandwagon! It's easier to explain to parents when a famous pitcher actually supports what your doing.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Oct 1, 2014
USA
It is nice to see her taking this approach, I thanked her immediately on FB and shared the post in hopes that some of the people who I've discussed this with would take notice. As I've said before there are way too many close minded, "old school" experts out there still preaching the opposite of what the most successful pitchers in this sport are doing today.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I'm happy to see she's not forcing the same crap down these kids throats that everyone else is. It does help when someone famous jumps in the bandwagon! It's easier to explain to parents when a famous pitcher actually supports what your doing.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Very much agree!! She is adding words like "pronation" which as mentioned above is now inline with what the experts here at DFP have been saying forever. Great to see!

May 18, 2009
my DD has been to 3 coaches. The third coach had her slowly move through her arm circle. He explained to her what pronation was as the arm rotates through the bottom portion of the pitch and the hand turns over. One of the other coaches I took my DD to was a former D1 pitcher that was taught by coach number 3. She tried telling DD hello elbow. I told coach #3 and he shook his head and said Ive told her. Made me laugh.

Jul 14, 2008
Just say it Amanda.......SAY THE WORDS..........I-N-T-E-R-N-A-L R-O-T-A-T-I-O-N...........Then, and ONLY THEN will you be "Certified"........:cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06