Adderall and sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My DD has had a messed up period ( twice a month ) for awhile and the GP put her on birthcontrol. Well it fixed the period problem but DD has been putting on some weight that she didnt have before the BC. So I sent her back and they changed the scrip, but still hasn't lost that weight she picked up.

I could tell she's kinda gotten upset about it as she's been eating like a bird and exercises all the time with no weight loss. So I sent her to my brothers sports doc guy and he wants to put her on Adderall. He says it's safe ( compared to other scrip meds for weight control ) and that lots of pro athletes use it for concentration, weight control, and energy.

Anyone had experience with this?

Edit: The sports guy did blood tests for thyroid problems and came back normal.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Need to be carefull of looking solely at weight on the scale. If she is really working out alot and putting on muscle it could be part of the reason she isnt seeing a reduction in weight. Muscle weighs approximately twice as much as fat.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I was going to ask about her thyroid. Yes pro athletes use adderall...it is a stimulant, suppose to give a very focused, overall good feeling.
I was heavy in the bodybuilding culture many moons ago and 1st thing I will say is that dr is a legal dealer. There are 1000s of them. Now I never took adderall to "cut", did take other things we felt were safer. Adderall definately causes weight loss, a very very heavy appetite supressant. Now to say it is not dangerous is a lie! It is a stimulant, some I have heard would get jitters. Almost all got the focused, overall feeling of confidence. The most dangerous part is that it give a moody depressed feeling if not taking it. It is addictive! Especially with young women...a very fast weight loss with a good feeling, and focus on it. Kids talk about how school is so much easier on it. Get off of it and depression sets in along with huge appetite and weight gain. I would guess college age girls are the largest abusers of the drug.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Hey Fourts, maybe GD put it here to hear about some of our experiences. I think what your dd experienced is pretty common. So, mine does Zumba. In fact, when I called tonight to see how she was doing and per some converations with PC, she was using Zumba to try to get her blood flow up to help clear out her system from the injury. When dd went to college, she lost 22 lbs and that was due partially to how hard the workouts were and her desire to increase her speed. She is a big girl. Zumba was the answer along with the various "Just Dance" DVDs. GD you probably know this already but be careful when discussing weight with the dd. At least with mine.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Really! You ask on a forum and don't look this up yourself! Your thinking about giving your DD a narcotic that is regulated by the food and drug for ADHD so she can loose weight? What ever happened to the good old exercise and food intake?

Yea I've been looking all day bud. I'm not some loon parent that's going to shove pills down my kid. My DD has always been fit until this period deal, so we are looking at all problems and options. She eats healthy and she's more active than most.

I've also been researching to see the doc was right, lots of pro's use it who have weight issues.

My niece has ADHD and got on Adderall 2 years ago. She had a few extra pounds and now looks real tone. So I'm not sure if DD has ADHD and we have not gotten proper diagnosis or what.

So yea, I'm on a Athletic forum asking for advice or experience from others. I'm not putting my daughter on anything until I hear opinions.

May 8, 2012
NJ
DD is on it...big appetite killer for sure. She's small to begin with, and at almost 13 we're at about 4'9 and 85lbs. Getting her to eat a meal is almost impossible. Personally, if it werent for the ADD, wouldn't want her on it. That stuff can really disrupt sleep cycles.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
Yea I've been looking all day bud. I'm not some loon parent that's going to shove pills down my kid. My DD has always been fit until this period deal, so we are looking at all problems and options. She eats healthy and she's more active than most.

I've also been researching to see the doc was right, lots of pro's use it who have weight issues.

My niece has ADHD and got on Adderall 2 years ago. She had a few extra pounds and now looks real tone. So I'm not sure if DD has ADHD and we have not gotten proper diagnosis or what.

So yea, I'm on a Athletic forum asking for advice or experience from others. I'm not putting my daughter on anything until I hear opinions.

A lot of "pros" use meth, cocain, pot, hgh, or steroid of your choice does that Make it right or good for their health? Air does not make you add fat so it's a little hard to believe someone is eating heathy and exercising and is over weight! Before you go looking for the easy pill fix why not get the advise of a nutritionist, I know it's way easier to give your kid a narcotic and get all that great side benefit of making her the star athlete. So you where seeking advise there it is!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A lot of "pros" use meth, cocain, pot, hgh, or steroid of your choice does that Make it right or good for their health? Air does not make you add fat so it's a little hard to believe someone is eating heathy and exercising and is over weight! Before you go looking for the easy pill fix why not get the advise of a nutritionist, I know it's way easier to give your kid a narcotic and get all that great side benefit of making her the star athlete. So you where seeking advise there it is!

Fourts - Please practice your reading comprehension and writing skills before you attempt to enlighten the general public with more of your Holiday Inn Express psuedo-scientific advice.

IMO, GD is doing exactly what anyone should do when they have concern or reservations about medical advice. He's already sought a 2nd MD's opinion, probably will seek more MD opinions, and then has asked those at DFP to see if they've had similar experiences. It's called gathering information to weigh options and make an educated decision.

May 25, 2010
I was going to ask about her thyroid. Yes pro athletes use adderall...it is a stimulant, suppose to give a very focused, overall good feeling.

I was heavy in the bodybuilding culture many moons ago and 1st thing I will say is that dr is a legal dealer. There are 1000s of them. Now I never took adderall to "cut", did take other things we felt were safer. Adderall definately causes weight loss, a very very heavy appetite supressant. Now to say it is not dangerous is a lie! It is a stimulant, some I have heard would get jitters. Almost all got the focused, overall feeling of confidence. The most dangerous part is that it give a moody depressed feeling if not taking it. It is addictive! Especially with young women...a very fast weight loss with a good feeling, and focus on it. Kids talk about how school is so much easier on it. Get off of it and depression sets in along with huge appetite and weight gain. I would guess college age girls are the largest abusers of the drug.

GD - What RHC says about the dangers of Adderall is true and I agree with his statement that anyone claiming it's 'safe' is a liar.

It'll work, yes, but a lot of people become psychologically addicted to the effects of the drug without being physically addicted to it. That's a very real danger that can affect anyone, regardless of how mature, straight-laced, or in control they might be. That's not a negative statement about your daughter, just a word of caution for you.

Even though it's pretty easy to get a prescription for, it's heavily trafficked. And kids steal.

There's nothing I can say in regards to the original condition she's dealing with, as I have no experience with or anecdotal knowledge of it, but I hope that there's a safe and lasting remedy for her that won't bring unfriendly side effects.

Every persons body reacts differently but sounds like the pill was the right call to get her regular. It's hard without knowing specifics but usually the right diet and exercise regimen should control her weight. Eating like a bird is not required just eating the right things lots of high protein lean meats and veggies and fruits. When you go grocery shopping and you find yourself in one of the aisles instead of just making a loop around the outside of the store you are probably doing it wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad