Adderall and sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thank most of you for your input. Obviously something health related happened to throw off the female cycles and the first doctor prescribed what has helped the majority of patients, but now we have some issues. *I did my normal parental investigations before the birth control and the top 2 side effects were "weight loss" or "weight gain". Unfortunately her BC options are limited because of her cycle condition the hormones level in the meds have to be higher.

Like most on here I'm going to love my kid even if she is 500 pounds. BUT for a 17YO who stays as active as she does, weigh gain shouldn't even be a thought. She/we haven't changed our diet in years, we eat the majority time healthy/balanced home cooked meals with normal occasional splurges.*

My *main concern is the health related problems that can arise from being overweight. *( blood pressure, diabetes etc ) Next would be her mental state, in a year going from physically fit to adding 20+ pounds is not normal.*

The sports doc is pretty well known, his practice works with our local NBA team. They have nutritionists, physical trainers, yada yada. I think his intentions are to use the Adderall as a temporary solution to "see" if it will improve the issue ( or keep it from getting worse ) and then go from there on further tests and long term options.*

Any more constructive and logical opinions are welcome.*

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
My DD is on Concerta, not sure if it's even close to the same thing but she takes it for her ADD. At first, her appetite was completely gone, we couldn't force her to eat, but once she got used to it, it was game on! That girl eats more then any boy I've ever known, we can't keep enough groceries in the house. However, she hasn't gained any more weight then whats normal since she's still growing.

Not sure what the answer is for your DD, but I know this parenting thing is tough and nobody needs jerks like fourts making it harder. The toughest decision we have had to make so far was to put her on meds, turns out, it was the best as well! You can always try it and if it has adverse effects, you can always take her off it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Not much help, but just my new found experience. After trashing my body most of my life, I have tried to look deeper into anything going on with my body then just the surface effects. Just sharing the thoughts in my head, definately no judgement...heck I am starting back to playing baseball and trying to get in shape and the first thing I did last summer was go online looking for some ephedra, didn't buy any, but came close.
Anyway my crazy non educated thoughts: she had reproductive trouble, first thought in my head was "probably caused by hormones in milk, meat, and processed food". Having young girls, I see and hear from other parents how these girls are going into puburty at super young ages. One girl I know was getting shots of something to slow her down, she was developing at 7 years old!
Then weight gain with birth control. What does birth control do? It tricks a females body into thinking it is pregnant so to stop the cycles. So what did a females body need to do for survival up until our modern times that you could just go to the cupboard to get food anytime you needed it. It needed to store fat for the survival of the mom and the baby. NOW I would have thought that would have shown in your dd's thyroid levels.
Now you are thinking a script to fix the weight gain. Just me and I know you are doing a job of researching, but in my head I have to believe there are effects on the body and mind of taking it. Overall I don't trust drs a whole lot...when I was young and dumb (instead of old and dumb) I took several steroids under the supervision of a "sports/youthful living doctor". I didn't care about the long term effects, and the doctor acted like my body's liver was just an optional organ. It is almost taking as fact in the weight lifting, bodybuilding, basketball, football, tennis, and etc roid consuming groups that if you cycle on and off it is perfectly safe. It is not. I am at a midlife crisis now and everyday I am thinking about how to restore what I destroyed.
For me getting a body back into natural order starts with a dr supervised 10 day juice fast. It is getting mass amounts of nutrients from easy to digest fruits and vegetables. Juicing for Weight Loss with Joe Cross | Reboot With Joe
Not trying to sell you on this, just share what started me after watching the film "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead".

Whatever goes on, best of luck, and I am sure it will turn out all good.

And look kids steroid abuse leads to long term spelling loss and poor sentence structure ^^^^

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I know its a tough argument with girls about weight. But your dd has a lot of muscle. And muscle weighs 3x more than fat. So I recommend analyzing body fat percentages instead of actual scale weight.

Jun 18, 2010
I could tell she's kinda gotten upset about it as she's been eating like a bird and exercises all the time with no weight loss.

GD, make sure she is eating enough. I too struggle with my weight, but what I found was starving myself killed my metabolism. For me eating smaller amounts more frequently kept my metabolism up. I try to eat 5-6 times a day small healthy meals / snacks.

Jun 22, 2008
If your daughter has any intention of playing college ball, you may also want to check into the NCAA regulations. There are a lot of banned drugs they do not allow, although some of them can be used if a doctor determines there is a legitimate need and the NCAA grants a variance.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Very interesting stuff RHC. I was on the powerlifting team in HS and played ball through college and never took any enhancements. After college I returned to amateur powerlifting and unfortunately dabbed in some roids myself. ( enanthate, cypionate, suspension, deca, winstrol V ) I was very healthy minded in HS, once I got to college........the night life consumed me and I started treating my body like an amusement park. I've had back problems over the last year and I always wonder if those years of bodily abuse are just now coming to the surface.

It's for these reasons above I'm very cautious about my daughters health. I don't want her making the foolish mistakes I did. I don't want to rush into any medication without all the facts on one hand, and the other hand tells me that we need to do something soon ( short term ) until we can figure out the cause and have a long term plan of action.

I'm a big dude and I love love love to eat, always have. With the back injury I've put on a few pounds in the wrong places myself. So I'm going to look into your links for my benefit. I've tried the 10 day beer fast and it just doesn't work, so juice may be the way to go after all. :rolleyes:

Getting old sucks. As a teen boy I was around 210 and always trying to gain more weight ( muscle ). Mom would cook a full breakfast, I'd eat 2 school lunches, before practice I could eat 2 footlong Subway sandwiches, after practice eat another full meal at home, and then a snack before bed......hardly ever put on a pound. At 39 I'm trying to lose weight and eat about 1/4 of what I did as a teen and now I gain?? :confused:Life ain't funny sometimes.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If your daughter has any intention of playing college ball, you may also want to check into the NCAA regulations. There are a lot of banned drugs they do not allow, although some of them can be used if a doctor determines there is a legitimate need and the NCAA grants a variance.

Yes, my brother pointed that out to me too.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I know its a tough argument with girls about weight. But your dd has a lot of muscle. And muscle weighs 3x more than fat. So I recommend analyzing body fat percentages instead of actual scale weight.

The weight is all in the legs and core. It's not muscle for sure. Her and mom have always been the same size and worn each others clothes, I think I bothers her the most to see 40yo mom in shape and something has happened to her body.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Sorry if I don't get around to answering everyone's posts, they are still appreciated.

GD, make sure she is eating enough. I too struggle with my weight, but what I found was starving myself killed my metabolism. For me eating smaller amounts more frequently kept my metabolism up. I try to eat 5-6 times a day small healthy meals / snacks.

She eats a normal amount, but just in the last few weeks she has become "frustrated" and has really cut back, and that's not healthy either.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse