Adderall and sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
If you haven't been already, count calories and the type of calories and see where she is at. Maybe a metabolism booster could help if she's not overeating. Like RHC I liked Ephedra, it's now illegal as diet supplement but still available legally in another form, taken with another legal supplement it does give a very good thermogenic effect but does cause jitters and for me I can't stop talking. My wife cant take it because she doesn't like the jitters. Certaninly not a long term answer though.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
You also mention that you are a big dude, are you big in the same places as she is? Are your genetics playing a role in this?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You also mention that you are a big dude, are you big in the same places as she is? Are your genetics playing a role in this?

are you big in the same places as she is?

Lord I hope not, or we got some REAL problems to deal with. :p

Seriously, I've put on a few pounds around the mid section this past year because of my back problem and surgery. I mean as adults my family side family puts on the normal "older" pounds after about 30ish. But at her age I was 210 with a 32" waist and was rock hard, mom has been 130-140 since we met 20 years ago ( moms family side is average too )

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I would humbly suggest you consult a pharmacist and discuss the side effects of the existing medication, and certainly before adding anything else to it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I ran this by someone who runs a treatment center for eating disorders. Her response:

It is dangerous to use Adderall for weight loss because you can become dependent on it to control your appetite. ... She needs to give her body time to adjust to the hormone changes. If the gain is truly due to the hormones, it will naturally adjust. It may be that the weight gain is about something else entirely. She also may have been too lean before and that is why she was having trouble with periods.

Encourage healthy eating and exercise, but no dieting. It will only throw her appetite off and could lead to binge eating. Will only make matters worse.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I ran this by someone who runs a treatment center for eating disorders. Her response:

It is dangerous to use Adderall for weight loss because you can become dependent on it to control your appetite. ... She needs to give her body time to adjust to the hormone changes. If the gain is truly due to the hormones, it will naturally adjust. It may be that the weight gain is about something else entirely. She also may have been too lean before and that is why she was having trouble with periods.

Encourage healthy eating and exercise, but no dieting. It will only throw her appetite off and could lead to binge eating. Will only make matters worse.

I've been talking to my niece this morning about her opinion.

My niece was diagnosed with ADHD a while back and was put on Adderall, she was an "ok" student growing up and once she started the Adderall she made all A's her last part of college. She had maybe 15 pounds of bad weight and it slimmed her down to a normal healthy weight. She swears that it has truely changed her life just from her mental state of clear thinking and ability to concentrate.

But I still am concerned about her^^^ long term effects of the drug.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't take anything unless I'm dying, now that I'm older and wiser anyway. Maybe a flexiril for my back once every 10 days, meds for the flu or sinus infection, besides that nothing. So I'm really apprehensive about this for DD. I told the doc we'd think this over for a week and get back with him.

I would humbly suggest you consult a pharmacist and discuss the side effects of the existing medication, and certainly before adding anything else to it.

Yes, trust me we have. Of course it's the same story........some women lose weight on the BC and some gain.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My background is in pharmaceuticals, from the clinical research side. I am a big fan of "better living through chemistry" if a drug is prescribed for a specific indication and has gone through the full rigors of clinical trials. Adderall, from just some quick research this morning, is indicated for ADHD and for narcolepsy. The drug has gone through full phase III trials for both of these indications and has been proven save and effective.
I would say your next step is to continue researching Adderall specifically for weight loss. Has it gone through clinical trials for weight loss specifically? I'd consult with an MD PhD, one specializing in pharmacokinetics who can tell you more about Adderall and what it does (I am not qualified in that regard). You are right to be cautious. This is a serious drug.
The weight gain you describe sounds like too much estrogen? Is she gaining weight in her tricep area? I'd keep fiddling with the BC dose.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Is she gaining weight in her tricep area?

Thanks for the post. No not really, I'd say most is between the bottom of rib cage and top of the knees.

This girl has been running 2 miles, doing a dozen stadiums, weightlifting, cardio 5 days a week for about 6 weeks getting ready for softball season. If I did all that I'd be in super shape. It's really weird and got me stumped.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I hope you find a solution. I feel for your DD. How long has she been on the BC? I know from experience it can take 6 months to a year to adjust. Can the GYN give her the lowest dose possible to see how she does?

Sep 18, 2011
GD - I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on adderall and i'm not a nutritionist. I'm also not one for fad diets, but I do believe in the concept of eating foods (or combining foods) that only have a single ingredient. Even if that ingredient is butter. Here's an article that helps explain it but if you google "one ingredient diet" you'll come up with hundreds of articles. It's the same concept that someone posted earlier - at the grocery store, avoid the middle aisles as much as possible. It's the only "diet" (and it's not really a diet in the traditional sense of the word) that has ever appealed to me, and without being overly dramatic it has changed my life.

The One Ingredient Diet ~ Fit Syracuse - Personal Training, CrossFit, Nutritional Health / Fitness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55