9 Yo Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Love the Mustang in the background. That's a beautiful machine.

There's a lot of good advice available here on this site, but having a live instructor who can break down and reset the existing motion would be invaluable.

Is she going to get the opportunity to pitch in games for her rec team this year? Depending on when her season starts, if she is going to be pitching in games, I would not suggest seeing a pitching coach (most of us here use 'PC' to denote that) during the season. Because she is new to pitching, if she's pitching in games, she would most likely default to whatever motion results in strikes.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Good thing is she is just 9. With a commitment to always improving technique she has a good chance. Here was mine at age 9 a few years back to give you a feel for a young pitcher that is a little looser than your dd and one that applies pretty strong effort for that age. She wasn't/isn't perfect. But at age 9 she was in the top 20% at least. good luck and enjoy helping your dd work hard.

There's a lot of good advice available here on this site, but having a live instructor who can break down and reset the existing motion would be invaluable.

Is she going to get the opportunity to pitch in games for her rec team this year? Depending on when her season starts, if she is going to be pitching in games, I would not suggest seeing a pitching coach (most of us here use 'PC' to denote that) during the season. Because she is new to pitching, if she's pitching in games, she would most likely default to whatever motion results in strikes.

Main issue now becomes finding that PC. Obviously the one we had was sending us in the wrong direction. She is going to be pitching but we are working towards the future so we will take it one step at a time and go from there.

ffrescue, I started with my daughter at the same age. I had been working with her older brother in baseball but I was completely new to softball. I had to trust the few softball experts I was aware of in the area. It was quite a journey to figure who was right for my DD.
There are 4 things that have made a significant difference in my approach with my daughter in the past 6 months:
1. discussfastpitch has been incredibly helpful. Not every voice is right for your daughter, but seeing them spiritedly put forth and defended is incredibly valuable. I am much better able to identify and articulate the good and bad about processes, and possible corrective actions

2. The Hanson Principle – Mark Hanson said, “Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”. That goes for pitchers too. I moved my DD from her first pitching coach when I started noticing the leverage and speed some pitchers were able to achieve that my DD wasn’t getting. I also read “Fastpitch Softball: The Windmill Pitcher”, by Barry Sammons. I couldn’t see how the first pitching coach’s methods could get my DD to a higher level. Also, I didn’t see any elite pitcher with the motion she teaches. We both still love her dearly, but we had to go.

3. Use of video – I have found that words most often do not convey the reality of what is happening to relatives and especially your own kids. I use my android phone to record important segments of her hitting and pitching lessons, especially when they demonstrate a drill or the motion. I record my DD. I also show her videos of the elite pitchers. My DD can see the difference with her own eyes. It makes a big difference. This is especially important when she feels that she is performing the motion correctly, but you can see clearly the difference between her motion and what good looks like

4. Tower of Babel – I really like analysis and detail especially when it is needed to achieve an overall objective. However, after reading, talking and watching a lot of softball, I tried to do too many things at once with my DD and I would give her too many instructions. Her pitching coach especially is helping me focus on one or a few aspects at a time so she can absorb the information and learn the new skill or improvement. Too many instructions just turns into noise and is counterproductive

If I had known these things 3 years ago, my DD’s path would have been smoother, more productive and she would have gotten were she is sooner.

Even so, these are the best times I have ever had. It’s been terrific fun and a great learning experience for both of us.

Left turn, thanks for all the good advice. We just bought the Hillhouse video and will be watching and studying. As well I will find the windmill book. Most of the other stuff like the tower of babel I have caught myself in. I have taken to just stepping back and letting her go and then every few trying to fix something i see. But I can see that from everyone's advice we need to try and wipe the slate clean and start over. We have had a busy week so far and have not had a chance to throw but tonight we have time set aside. we are going back to arm circles and working on being loose and we will step from there.

To everyone else that has viewed or commented. Thank you all so much! our information is invaluable and I am glad to be able to access it.

Jan 27, 2010
Good thing is she is just 9. With a commitment to always improving technique she has a good chance. Here was mine at age 9 a few years back to give you a feel for a young pitcher that is a little looser than your dd and one that applies pretty strong effort for that age. She wasn't/isn't perfect. But at age 9 she was in the top 20% at least. good luck and enjoy helping your dd work hard.

Ihowser, do you have any recent videos that show her improvement over the past years? How old is she now?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Ihowser, do you have any recent videos that show her improvement over the past years? How old is she now?

She is 11. I haven't shot a lot of video recently in that we have been working on gaining speed and adjusting to the 12" ball and 40' vs 35'. I wanted her working agressively hard and not be a victim of "paralysis of analysis" so I have just been eye balling it since she is progessing nicely. I might shoot some video in the next few days and post a comparison...Good, Bad...or Ugly!

Jan 27, 2010
Ihowser, she shows alot of improvement. I really like the change-up.(Smooth) Tell her to keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole