1st prototype of "the Swing Thing"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Like it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is the intent to spin the tire around? Is that what is considered positive feedback from this 'drill'?

Do you figure this will promote hitters making contact towards the tip of the bat? Is that what you want?

4ubfb9.jpg

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Yep... spin the tire, hit hard. Thinkin it's next step to hitting a heavy bag... it does allow follow thru after hit. This first tire I got is too big for DD, and me for that matter. They came in all sizes. Wanting to get a donut spare... or even a trailer tire.... and make sure its not steelbelted this time. :cool:

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I never quite appreciated certain people's desire to avoid hitting a real ball.

She hits all kinds of real balls... Practice once a week...live pitching & T & soft toss. 1/2 hour of hitting practice before every tourney game... into a bowenet... around 2.5- 3 hrs... up 4hrs. a week... Batting cage all fall & winter... base balls.

Gearing up to put them over the fence in 2017...

Taking it you don't like it ???

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
it does allow follow thru after hit.

Do you truly believe you "followed through" in your example ... like one should follow through in a normal swing?

The barrel never pointed back towards the fence (i.e., back towards an imagined pitcher or outfielder). Instead you maintained a 90-degree angle between the barrel and rear forearm. You restricted the release. You effectively 'clubbed' the tire.

2roji15.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She hits all kinds of real balls... Practice once a week...live pitching & T & soft toss. 1/2 hour of hitting practice before every tourney game.. around 2.5- 3 hrs... up 4hrs. a week... Batting cage all fall & winter... base balls.

Taking it you don't like it ???

I'll pass.

If it works for you, then that's all you need care about.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Do you truly believe you "followed through" in your example ... like one should follow through in a normal swing?

The barrel never pointed back towards the fence (i.e., back towards an imagined pitcher or outfielder). Instead you maintained a 90-degree angle between the barrel and rear forearm. You restricted the release. You effectively 'clubbed' the tire.

2roji15.gif

Yea I now... it was just a bad film day overcast, & I knew clip would be bad. Just trying to hurry up & get something posted. You can see if you did have a follow thru... you could do it...as opposed to a heavy bag...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yea I now... it was just a bad film day overcast, & I knew clip would be bad. Just trying to hurry up & get something posted. You can see if you did have a follow thru... you could do it...as opposed to a heavy bag...

I've seen several developing hitters hindered as a result of 'hitting' such heavy objects.

In all sincerity, sticking to the real thing ... i.e., hitting a real ball, is generally best. If the goal is to relieve boredom, then find ways to be more creative to instill a game-like scenario. IMO that is where your creative energies should be directed.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD likes to hit on her own, outside of team practice. She has done countless tee swings using a bow net when I am not around to pitch to her. Now she has a driver's license (I know, it scares me too...), so I send her to a local field twice per week with a bucket of balls. She does self toss and then walks around to pick up the balls. To make it more interesting I will provide specific goals for her; 10 line drives to the opposite field, 10 ground balls up the middle, etc. I wish I could pitch to her more often than I do, but this thing called a job keeps getting in the way...

I am not a fan of hitting tires or punching bags. In general I am not of fan of most hitting gadgets, although I don't mind trying new things. If you believe there is benefit, keep at it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd