15yo DD - Starting down the road...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like the focus of the action in the "whip drill" and this one (or part of it, anyway)...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_MT7wc_tfY. Am I on the wrong path by using these drills with the focus on top hand swivel and maintaining the "power-V"?

Any time you perform a drill, you need to have the brain actively engaged in what you are attempting to extract.

Virtually any 'drill' can be 'bad' ..... and hence the attitude is to learn from the drill and move on to passing the positive aspect of the drill into your swing. You'll want to perform video confirmation that you were successful ...... and if you are not successful, then the job is not done.

One “potential” plus from this drill is the feel of the barrel turning around the rear forearm during the backwards portion of the swing arc.

One “potential flaw” in this drill is that the rear elbow is always slotted …. So it doesn’t teach how the barrel turning process marries with the slot …. And how the hand action can actually have the feel of controlling the slotting action.

Another “potential flaw” is the lack of extension as the swing passes by the ‘RVP Connection Point Position’ …. And the possible promotion of swinging ‘around’ the body.

It's a drill. Understand what it is you wish to extract from it. Don't perform the drill without actively engaging the brain of the purpose. Don't get to the point where you repeat a drill so often that the brain is NOT actively engaged and that you are instead picking up flaws from the drill. Don't treat "drills" like you would treat "pills" in curing an illness. Don't expect that simply performing drills will cure your swing issues.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with this post. The first thing I noticed was how flat the bat is. Getting it a bit more vertical to start may fix a bunch. But honestly, for someone that hasn't played in a year, I think she has a pretty good starting point. I have seen a lot worse.

I agree with FFS that drills are not always the answer. However if you want something to help, try this. I can not attach a gif right now but I would suggest trying the one where the batter points the barrel towards the pitcher before turning the barrel. Your DD's first move is to drop the barrel behind her. If she does that from this position she will smack herself right on top of the head.

Another one to try is the reverse top hand drill....

Just be careful that she is doing them properly

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
You keep asking for drills .... as if a drill is like a pill that remedies an illness.

I'm asking how YOU would teach this if YOU were working with this swing in one of YOUR young students.

I ask about drills because of this...

Drills help gain a 'feel'

And then this...

...you then need to work on building the feel, or movement pattern, into the actual swing. Drills can help obtain an 'understanding'.... then you need to put that understanding to work.

I don't like drills for the sake of doing drills so the hitter can get good at doing drills. I like drills because they highlight a specific movement or feeling that the hitter isn't able to do/feel on their own. Feeling it in their own body is more a more efficient teaching method (in my experience) than getting a young hitter try and duplicate what I'm doing, or interpret what I'm saying. Once they start to do/feel it in the drill, they have a better understanding of how it should feel in a full swing. Drills are a stepping stone, a tool. It seems that's pretty much what you just said, too.

Drills - like pills - can be overdone and cause more issues.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Do you honestly feel that you haven't received the information to get the job done?

Apparently, I don't have what I need to get the job done, according to what you've said so far. I asked because I'm interested in how other teachers would approach a similar situation with one of their own students. From that, I might learn some helpful information that might improve my own (flawed) teaching process. If you're not willing to share, so be it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Apparently, I don't have what I need to get the job done, according to what you've said so far. I asked because I'm interested in how other teachers would approach a similar situation with one of their own students. From that, I might learn some helpful information that might improve my own (flawed) teaching process. If you're not willing to share, so be it.

I have not said that you don't have what is needed to get the job done.

I've stated that your focus could be better. I've stated that your daughter is imbedding a movement pattern that will not scale. I'm suggesting that you better target your work.

To suggest that I'm not willing to share is silly. The better question is if you are willing to listen and get to work towards getting the job done. There comes a point where the student needs to accept responsibility. IMO you are at that point now.

I sincerely wish you and your daughter success. Please do stop by when you are in town next .... I'd appreciate the opportunity to work with you and your daughter .... no cost on your end .... bring a bat and a good work ethic .... excuses won't be accepted, mainly because they won't be needed.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Eric, her arms need to be isolated early in the sequence so her body will learn how to direct the momentum.. I have seen folks use a partially deflated beach ball across there chest.. The arms will then try to keep the ball in place until the swing happens.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It's been posted plenty of times but I forget what it's called. PVC with U ends and straps to keep the arms in the power V position. Anyone have a prior post of it handy? Eric, have you thought of trying it? It might help with learning to turn the barrel.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's been posted plenty of times but I forget what it's called. PVC with U ends and straps to keep the arms in the power V position. Anyone have a prior post of it handy? Eric, have you thought of trying it? It might help with learning to turn the barrel.

This may be what you are referring to ..... Rotational Hitting Drills | Aids | Mechanics | Instruction.

PC_gif_small.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45