15yo DD - Starting down the road...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is not an example of using the hands correctly. No where in this segment have the hands been used correctly. Way late IMO.

f1mujt.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is not an example of using the hands correctly. No where in this segment have the hands been used correctly. Way late IMO.

I agree that she is not using her hands correctly. Getting her hand use straightened out will get quite a few issues working better. I also think there are some issues with how she feels the sequence of movements. My comment about the hands being "early" was in relation to the hip turn. I'm seeing that as something out of sequence in this swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, any chance you are in my area and can stop in? I’d like the opportunity to introduce your daughter to her hands. Save us both a lot of time.

I'm in So Cal. I was hoping to get a chance to get in touch with you when I was in Portlandia last March, but it never happened.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Okay ..... I believe you stopped by Tigard at one point and was hoping you might be able to stop in.

Yep. That was in March. We have close friends that recently moved to Tigard, and we were visiting with them for a few days. At some point in the not-to-distant future, we hope to make another trip.

See if you get a sense of Brooke attempting to turn the barrel around her semi-upright rear forearm.

14t6935.gif

Your daughter doesn't do this ...... but she should.

Agreed. I see it in Brooke, and I don't see in my DD. That's the direction I'm trying to go. The most recent clip of my DD was taken just after I became aware of the "whip drill', which I believe will be very helpful in getting BOTH of my DDs to feel the correct hand and rear arm action. Any other drill/instruction suggestions?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Okay ...... I'll say this and then move on ..... I may be wrong, so take this with a grain of salt ..... I believe you are making things much more difficult than they are. Hopefully you can visit soon and we can show you just how simple this really is.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

f1mujt.gif

I like the way FFS made this clip. Look at the direction the barrel is pointing when the red V is added to the gif. Now imagine how far the sweet spot of the barrel will need to travel to get to the contact point.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

f1mujt.gif

I like the way FFS made this clip. Look at the direction the barrel is pointing when the red V is added to the gif. Now imagine how far the sweet spot of the barrel will need to travel to get to the contact point.

Correct. It is a barrel path made longer due to not turning the barrel. Instead of turning the barrel she flings the barrel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207