15yo DD - Starting down the road...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've stated that your focus could be better.
Agreed.

I've stated that your daughter is imbedding a movement pattern that will not scale.
No doubt. I'm well aware of this. That's why we're working on improving things.

I'm suggesting that you better target your work.
Fair suggestion. This goes back to my own focus, as noted above.

To suggest that I'm not willing to share is silly. The better question is if you are willing to listen and get to work towards getting the job done.
I have asked a couple of times - very clearly - how you would instruct a student of your own with a similar swing. Your response is to flip the focus back to me. It comes across as being unwilling to share how you would approach the issue with the student.

There comes a point where the student needs to accept responsibility. IMO you are at that point now.
Who is the "student" in this case? Me? My DD? If it's me, how is trying to educate myself not accepting responsibility? I'm not following you on this.

I sincerely wish you and your daughter success. Please do stop by when you are in town next .... I'd appreciate the opportunity to work with you and your daughter .... no cost on your end .... bring a bat and a good work ethic .... excuses won't be accepted, mainly because they won't be needed.
I hope we can make that happen. I have no doubt it would be enlightening.

Excuses? What excuses?? You mentioned "excuses" before, too. I'm not following you here, either.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That's it. FFS, would that be a help to her? Some posts of self made versions on DFP.

It can 'help' or 'hurt' depending on how you go about using it.

I've seen folks here at DFP demonstrate using such a device in slow-motion, and work on goals not supported by the Hanson Principle. IMO those particular drills were not helpful. The intent is to learn what it feels like for the swing action to build structure in the forearms ..... not for you to rely on the gadget to provide structure ... which was what was happening in the slow-motion videos that were demonstrated.

As you can see in the GIF below, the drill here is being performed at full speed ... the barrel is being turned .... and, this is important, the swing is being truncated at 'contact' (shown here by swinging into a punching bag). The device is not well suited for the portion of the swing beyond 'contact' .... and hence the use of the punching bag.

PC_gif_small.gif

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
one of which was Eric F showing his younger daughter... IIRC...

You may be confusing me with knightsb. I've never videoed myself or any of my DDs with a connector device. There is a GIF of knightsb's DD using the device floating around the intarwebz.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Eric, do you have the video I asked for above?

Has your daughter ever attempted to "turn the barrel"? Do you have video of your daughter attempting to "turn the barrel"? You may send it to me privately if you prefer.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
p.s.
Eric, I may be wrong. Let me see the results of your daughter, or you, doing what was described here .... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/17554-15yo-dd-starting-down-road-8.html#post269702.

Would you help me be sure I'm understanding the TM clip correctly?...
Simultaneous adduction of the shoulder, and supination of the forearm - hand pivot point, and top hand swivel. The focus of the feel/load being in the hands, with the adduction being a response to the barrel movement rather than a conscious action.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, do you have the video I asked for above?

Has your daughter ever attempted to "turn the barrel"? Do you have video of your daughter attempting to "turn the barrel"? You may send it to me privately if you prefer.

No. I'm at work. I don't get to work with her every day, either, so it may be a while before we can get video. Divorce and being a part-time dad sucks like that.

My attempts to teach her how to turn the barrel (to this point), have only gotten us to what you have already seen. We haven't been able to work on her swing since that day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45