15yo DD - Starting down the road...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Would you help me be sure I'm understanding the TM clip correctly?...
Simultaneous adduction of the shoulder, and supination of the forearm - hand pivot point, and top hand swivel. The focus of the feel/load being in the hands, with the adduction being a response to the barrel movement rather than a conscious action.

Okay .... you haven't tried what was recommended .... yet you are fairly free to suggest that someone isn't sharing information with you.

Whatever pace you are comfortable with.

Play with it a bit .... then perhaps a Skype session .... with no excuses for you not trying what is recommended.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just to be sure I know what I'm looking for, do you have a pic of the "RVP Connection Point"?

The "RVP Connection Point Position" is the position that the swing passes through with the "top hand" + "rear elbow" + "rear shoulder" all aligned with the "rear hip". You want the Power-Vee orientation of the rear arm to be 'upright'.

a1q1y0.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Perhaps we can Skype sometime .... explain what your daughter is doing, why she is doing it, the sense of 'whip' she gets from doing what she is doing, and the upstream action that will circumvent this. I get a sense that you are a visual type person .... so the Skype may be much more effective.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Perhaps we can Skype sometime .... explain what your daughter is doing, why she is doing it, the sense of 'whip' she gets from doing what she is doing, and the upstream action that will circumvent this. I get a sense that you are a visual type person .... so the Skype may be much more effective.

I would be up for that.

Yes. I process things visually MUCH more efficiently than verbally.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The "RVP Connection Point Position" is the position that the swing passes through with the "top hand" + "rear elbow" + "rear shoulder" all aligned with the "rear hip". You want the Power-Vee orientation of the rear arm to be 'upright'.

a1q1y0.jpg

I learned this as the "stacked" position.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Eric,

My DD was struggling with the same thing your DD is. When working with a tee, she turned the barrel great, IMO. But when in a live game situation, she returned to a path similar to your DD, but not quite as extreme. It didn't hurt her results as she still led her TB team in hitting, but I do think it reduced her power. I started working with the drill that was posted on DFP a few weeks ago. The hitter has the bat tipped almost directly at the pitcher before swinging. We started with a tee, then moved to soft toss, etc. Back to live hitting with the only focus of getting the barrel more vertical before "go". In her case, keeping the bat more vertical allows her to turn the barrel more effectively and prevents the drop and drag in the video. May not work for everyone, but it did in this case.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric,

My DD was struggling with the same thing your DD is. When working with a tee, she turned the barrel great, IMO. But when in a live game situation, she returned to a path similar to your DD, but not quite as extreme. It didn't hurt her results as she still led her TB team in hitting, but I do think it reduced her power. I started working with the drill that was posted on DFP a few weeks ago. The hitter has the bat tipped almost directly at the pitcher before swinging. We started with a tee, then moved to soft toss, etc. Back to live hitting with the only focus of getting the barrel more vertical before "go". In her case, keeping the bat more vertical allows her to turn the barrel more effectively and prevents the drop and drag in the video. May not work for everyone, but it did in this case.

I have worked with both my DDs on a vertical start, but I'm learning that the process I have been teaching them from that point has had a serious flaw due to my own misunderstanding on a couple of issues. I have a new focus and refined direction that I hope will start showing some significant improvements in the near future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles