15yo DD - Starting down the road...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you Eric. Having the punching knuckles of the top hand facing the pitcher makes life difficult for someone struggling to turn the barrel. Getting a favorable hand set and grip can make life easier in that regard.

Good tip. Thanks. That's a detail I wasn't aware of.

Aug 15, 2014
I talk a lot with my DDs (and any hitter I'm working with) about mentality in the box, and getting the swing process started - and started early - on each pitch.

Less movement I agree with. Lower handset I do not. I want the barrel pivoting around the hands near the rear shoulder, moving out from the shoulder, and staying above the ball.
Not sure how to pivot the barrel around the hands near the rear shoulder ? The hands drive the barrel , hold the power angle as you get point of contact .. Hands lead, barrel catches up
Also relax the back elbow, no one can swing with a high elbow without collapsing it first..

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not sure how to pivot the barrel around the hands near the rear shoulder ? The hands drive the barrel , hold the power angle as you get point of contact .. Hands lead, barrel catches up
Also relax the back elbow, no one can swing with a high elbow without collapsing it first..

The hands are the center of rotation for the barrel.
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Trout_side.gif

Posey_060813_side.gif

I don't have a problem with a high rear elbow - within reason.

"Hands drive the barrel", "hold the power angle", and "hands lead" sounds like a recipe for an arm-powered out-front push.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2014
If I was techy enough, I would show you.

Sounds like you have a good concept of what you want to do

Please don't take my opinion as " I know it all"
I just know what works for me

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good tip. Thanks. That's a detail I wasn't aware of.

Okay, a few more then.

IMO you are chasing a few phantoms, while not focusing your energies well.

For example, you speak of arm-bar when arm-bar isn’t an issue. Her lead arm becomes elongated “during” her swing, which is not arm-bar. Correct the hand usage and the forearms will build the proper structure …. The triangle will then be turned instead of collapsing as it does now.

If you are duplicating SB’s drill, take note that his hand usage immediately builds structure in his forearms …. He turns the triangle, because he turns the barrel.

This is not drop the hands then swing. Nor is it a “looping” hand path. It is also not an all-back all-forward swing sequence.

The bat drag is real ….. which again traces back to not using the hands properly.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for your input, FFS.

I agree that better hand usage is the key here, and will help get many of the "issues" in line. Some of the issues were more apparent in other swings during this hitting session. This swing is one of the better ones I got on camera. As I mentioned before, our focus was getting away from a pretty significant all-back/all-forward movement, which she started to adapt to fairly well with some talk of getting "separation" and some reps of the HG drill. However, her hands are still getting started sooner than I would like to see.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks for your input, FFS.

I agree that better hand usage is the key here, and will help get many of the "issues" in line. Some of the issues were more apparent in other swings during this hitting session. This swing is one of the better ones I got on camera. As I mentioned before, our focus was getting away from a pretty significant all-back/all-forward movement, which she started to adapt to fairly well with some talk of getting "separation" and some reps of the HG drill. However, her hands are still getting started sooner than I would like to see.

IMO her hands are 'late' ..... *very* late! They are so late that they haven't even engaged by the time her rear elbow is 'slotted'.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What do you mean by "engaged"? Engaged with what?

I'm seeing her hands starting to move (rotating the barrel rearward) before her front foot is down, which I see as starting her hands too early. Admittedly, this barrel move is slop she doesn't need. We will be working towards reprogramming what direction she is initially moving the barrel. My target has been getting "overlap" where her hands are still going back (rock the U) as her rear hip is starting forward, after toe touch. It also appears to me that her hands are getting ahead of her rear hip too early.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What do you mean by "engaged"? Engaged with what?

I'm seeing her hands starting to move (rotating the barrel rearward) before her front foot is down, which I see as starting her hands too early. Admittedly, this barrel move is slop she doesn't need. We will be working towards reprogramming what direction she is initially moving the barrel. My target has been getting "overlap" where her hands are still going back (rock the U) as her rear hip is starting forward, after toe touch. It also appears to me that her hands are getting ahead of her rear hip too early.

Based on your description, I'm wondering if we are discussing the same swing clip. I'm viewing the Youtube swing clip on page '5' that you posted .... as that what you are viewing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207