15yo DD - Starting down the road...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Her seriousness fluctuates like the weather, but "serious" to her is being one of the better-than-average players on a mediocre HS team. When she is motivated, she's a hard and focused worker.

I'm with you on her rear hip and timing. I actually think that turning the barrel will come pretty easily once we program the movements. Lots of front toss, for sure.

Aug 28, 2012
That's the post I was recalling about jumping to isolate the coiling feel. Thanks for pointing out the counter-clockwise rotation component. This gets the knee moving in the right direction.

Cool, although to be clear, you don't actually have to jump. I mean jumping is fun and all, but the feel and coil action is all in the prep to jump the spinning 360.

Aug 28, 2012
And another caveat is that this is just to allow someone who has no idea what a coiled hip feels like, maybe feel it. It's not a recipe for how one should actually coil as part of a swing, but it gives a reference feel for when trying coiling as part of a swing.

R

RayR

So you want the knee to move under your torso in preparation to jump? As you coil?

Cool, although to be clear, you don't actually have to jump. I mean jumping is fun and all, but the feel and coil action is all in the prep to jump the spinning 360.

R

RayR

Oh nevermind - I was reading this and then your drill.

Stand on your right foot, and prepare to jump to your left, onto your left foot. Before you jump, there will be a tension in the right hip, the weight will be on the inside edge of the right foot, and the knee will move inside (to the left).

Nov 9, 2013
Eric F---I'm not sure if she is seeing a hitting instructor, but if she is not, try to seek out someone who teaches "rotational mechanics". Here are the two main issues she appears to have with her swing:

1. Look where her hands start and where they are at impact. They travel a long way before they get into the hitting zone. I would ask her to move her hands back toward the catcher (shoulder height) and keep them as still as possible until the rotation of her lower body forces them to move. By the time she is done moving her hands, the ball is already on her.

2. Look at where her feet are at set-up and where they are after she swings.....way too wide. I would ask her to lift her front foot during the load and place it down right back where it started. When she gets so wide, her power is dispersed over a wider area.

These are my two main concerns. A reputable hitting instructor would have other helpful suggestions. Good luck.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Eric F---I'm not sure if she is seeing a hitting instructor, but if she is not, try to seek out someone who teaches "rotational mechanics". Here are the two main issues she appears to have with her swing:

1. Look where her hands start and where they are at impact. They travel a long way before they get into the hitting zone. I would ask her to move her hands back toward the catcher (shoulder height) and keep them as still as possible until the rotation of her lower body forces them to move. By the time she is done moving her hands, the ball is already on her.

2. Look at where her feet are at set-up and where they are after she swings.....way too wide. I would ask her to lift her front foot during the load and place it down right back where it started. When she gets so wide, her power is dispersed over a wider area.

These are my two main concerns. A reputable hitting instructor would have other helpful suggestions. Good luck.

Sorry in advance Eric and your DD.
Becca1_zps7288c413.gif

petricca you say:They travel a long way before they get into the hitting zone.
So, you suggest:I would ask her to move her hands back toward the catcher
Wouldn't that cause her hands to have to travel and even longer way?
Then you suggest:keep them as still as possible until the rotation of her lower body forces them to move
Really then you say:By the time she is done moving her hands, the ball is already on her.
By the time she waits until the lower body rotation to move the hands the ball will be in the catchers glove.
The problems I have with you petricca is the only time and it is the only time you post is to shamelessly plug your blog. You post and never respond to any post directed at you. You think you have HL hitting figured out and everyone else is totally wrong. What a big shame and shame on you for not being willing to learn for your paying students.
I'm done with you.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

If you are going to continue to post on DFP, I suggest you start becoming familiar with some of the regulars who infest the hitting sections. I have - REPEATEDLY - disagreed with your belief in pushing the hands back towards the catcher as an "improvement" from the first time you spewed this nonsense.

Also, I am her hitting instructor - which you would also know if you bother to read a little bit. Additionally, if I took my DD to a hitting instructor and they told her to do what you teach - push the hands to the catcher, full extension at contact - it would be the last time I took my DD to that instructor.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Once you nail down the new and improved swing mechanics, get her a better composite bat:). The yellow Easton Synge is just ok (used to own one) but the higher end composites are worth the extra money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01