15yo DD - Starting down the road...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Eric - what more would you be looking for in terms of hip rotation? Are you looking for the rear knee to turn in sooner?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
She's not coiling into the rear hip enough, and spins the rear leg (bug squish).

Eric, a drill for You to try.. Assume your stance in the box with your COM over your front side... Now stride backwards towards the catcher into coil and swing (one continuous motion)

Becca1_zps7288c413.gif

I am not advocating this setup but you should feel the overlap.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What are you working to fix it?

Nothing yet. She's consumed with drama about her boyfriend and wants nothing to do with me. Teenagers are fun :rolleyes:

I'm not sure who I picked it up from, but I like this for introducing the feeling of coiling into the rear hip...

Stand on your right foot, and prepare to jump to your left, onto your left foot. Before you jump, there will be a tension in the right hip, the weight will be on the inside edge of the right foot, and the knee will move inside (to the left).

Once that feeling is programmed, then we move on to the sensation of squeezing the zipper to the rear pocket.

I also like FFS's discussion of "urban surfing" to illustrate the feel in the rear hip.

As for her foot spin, I'm going to see what we get with some "kick" drills and "walk-through" drills focusing on getting the rear hip to fire completely.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, a drill for You to try.. Assume your stance in the box with your COM over your front side... Now stride backwards towards the catcher into coil and swing (one continuous motion)

I am not advocating this setup but you should feel the overlap.

Hmmm...This might be helpful. I'll keep it in mind.

R

RayR

Urban surfing? Talk to Howe about that.

It's actually more of pocket to zipper. Try it both ways without turning the rear femur in towards the zipper. This takes time to get right. It's more of press.

Nothing yet. She's consumed with drama about her boyfriend and wants nothing to do with me. Teenagers are fun :rolleyes:

I'm not sure who I picked it up from, but I like this for introducing the feeling of coiling into the rear hip...

Stand on your right foot, and prepare to jump to your left, onto your left foot. Before you jump, there will be a tension in the right hip, the weight will be on the inside edge of the right foot, and the knee will move inside (to the left).

Once that feeling is programmed, then we move on to the sensation of squeezing the zipper to the rear pocket.

I also like FFS's discussion of "urban surfing" to illustrate the feel in the rear hip.

As for her foot spin, I'm going to see what we get with some "kick" drills and "walk-through" drills focusing on getting the rear hip to fire completely.

Aug 28, 2012

The 360 is important, otherwise you may be loading to abduct and ER to jump left and that would be veery disappointing.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...894-scapular-loading-vs-snf-3.html#post207665

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ride the coil, is what my dd says.

Just my thoughts. She dosen't sound like she wants to be super serious about softball right? Just have some fun. I would teach her coil and stretch in the rear hip. Work on timing. Start early and slow. She looks rushed. Then throw her as much front toss as she will allow. Encourage her to go big. Be athletic. Use some momentum. So what if she shifts early. So what if she doesn't turn the barrel. Square up with the ball and hit it hard.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles