14 yo DD Swing imput welcomed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
JMO. If she loaded her bat a little different, the rest would come together very nicely. I am not a fan of bending the wrists together. Her hands come back and around. I would have her try "nudging someone behind her" with her back elbow, loading into her back muscles. All the while keeping her hands closer to her rear shoulder.

After the load work, then I think if she worked on turning the barrel as part of her first barrel move, she would have a very nice swing.

She has some good stuff going on, don't let it get taken away.

Last edited:
Nice to see she is not bug squishing that I can see, her back heel lifts up naturally as a result of her hip turning.

I think she is substituting shoulder turn for proper loading, watch the video I uploaded at the beginning , it's not perfect but you can see what I'm talking about as far as proper load versus just shoulder turn. To save you time you can start just before the 5 minute mark.

Let me say again how I really like her hands after initiation and her bat path very direct when she gets rid of the big shoulder turn it will be even quicker.

p.s. I see redhot posted before I could finish typing....so maybe we are on to something....work on proper loading

Last edited:
JMO. If she loaded her bat a little different, the rest would come together very nicely. I am not a fan of bending the wrists together. Her hands come back and around. I would have her try "nudging someone behind her" with her back elbow, loading into her back muscles. All the while keeping her hands closer to her rear shoulder.

After the load work, then I think if she worked on turning the barrel as part of her first barrel move, she would have a very nice swing.

She has some good stuff going on, don't let it get taken away.

How should she be loading the bat and I'm not sure what you mean by bending the wrist together... Is she doing that? It's amazing how much only one set of eyes can miss...

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Only have 10 seconds...but I picture her looking like this:
meganmaybat_zps9f1d16c9.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think if your dd loaded similar to the gif above, she would be making a big step forward toward a really nice swing. Doing it exactly like Megan in the gif isn't neccessary, but I do think it is a good load to copy. Elbow as high as vid isn't neccessary, it is ok, just not neccesary. Loading and tightening down her scap, the muscles in her back, in the load is neccessary. Sometimes that is taught as "nudging a person behind you" some say "pulling a bow string back and around", anyway you say it, she should pull or tighten her scap. I have said "crush a soda can at your upper spine, between your upper back muscles."

Megan's back is pulling back toward the crowd her whole swing. I see some of that in your dd, don't lose that.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
She is pre loading pretty bad. Try to get the hands moving back as the stride or hip bump is moving forward, then fire AFTER the heel plants. This will keep the kinetic chain of energy flowing naturally. Let the body weight shifting provide some "free" power as the front leg firms up and resists.

I think if your dd loaded similar to the gif above, she would be making a big step forward toward a really nice swing. Doing it exactly like Megan in the gif isn't neccessary, but I do think it is a good load to copy. Elbow as high as vid isn't neccessary, it is ok, just not neccesary. Loading and tightening down her scap, the muscles in her back, in the load is neccessary. Sometimes that is taught as "nudging a person behind you" some say "pulling a bow string back and around", anyway you say it, she should pull or tighten her scap. I have said "crush a soda can at your upper spine, between your upper back muscles."

Megan's back is pulling back toward the crowd her whole swing. I see some of that in your dd, don't lose that.

:) Thanks Will post up dated video after a little more tee time.

She is pre loading pretty bad. Try to get the hands moving back as the stride or hip bump is moving forward, then fire AFTER the heel plants. This will keep the kinetic chain of energy flowing naturally. Let the body weight shifting provide some "free" power as the front leg firms up and resists.

Last week she had no pre-load.. Had her over emphasizing it in tee work to help muscle memory it's not quite that bad after last night workout Thanks

Last week she had no pre-load.. Had her over emphasizing it in tee work to help muscle memory it's not quite that bad after last night workout Thanks

Sounds like you might be on the right track just remember it is not so much a big shoulder turn as a slight turn and tilt of shoulders as the hands go back and elbow goes up (all shown in the gif) all this while striding forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd