12u - Latest Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I appreciate the observations... but I think a lot of the comments are just based on surface components.

For example, she can change back and forth between these 2 swings instantly just by modifying her starting stance. (narrow & open vs. wider).

batdragondd3_zpsbx3osvsx.gif

MiserlyWiltedIrishredandwhitesetter.gif

I noticed when she starts narrow the swing is more up and more in line with a baseball pitch plane...and when she starts wider her swing is somewhat flatter and more in line with a softball pitch plane. Also starting narrow makes her swing more athletic and provides more power. Starting wider provides more consistency in squaring up pitches.

So really that fact that she can change instantly back in forth really means the underlying mechanics are the same....

batdragon,

In watching the gif, I notice that during her stride her rear leg straightens some and she seems to raise her body (her head also moves with this). Watch the horizontal slat on the fence behind her. Is this by design? If so, what benefit do you feel it creates?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
batdragon,

In watching the gif, I notice that during her stride her rear leg straightens some and she seems to raise her body (her head also moves with this). Watch the horizontal slat on the fence behind her. Is this by design? If so, what benefit do you feel it creates?

It is the opposite of "tall in the fall". Not a great idea to design into the swing IMO.

Oct 26, 2012
batdragon,

Yes, its not by design and I dont feel it creates a benefit. As you can see in the 2 GIFs when her stance is more narrow her body lowers during her stride. When her stance is wider, she rises during her stride. We are trying to figure out how to combine the power she acheives with the narrow stance and the consistency in squaring up pitches she acheives with the wider stance.

We play around with starting stances and controlling center of gravity.

The main observation I noticed is when COG is back the swing is more powerful but up. When COG is forward the swing plane is more in line with a softball pitch plane. When COG is too forward the swing is down... so essentially COG controls tilt which is a major variable in establishing the swing plane.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Current swing....

MiserlyWiltedIrishredandwhitesetter.gif

it seems like her swing is becoming more natural as time goes on. Not really modifying anything mechanically.

Just letting her figure out what "feels" right....

..thoughts ????

In this video, notice the running start of the bottom half. Note how the hands are still getting to the top of his handset while the bottom half is dropping/lower the center of gravity/center of mass.

Schwarber_offspeed.gif

Oct 26, 2012
In this video, notice the running start of the bottom half. Note how the hands are still getting to the top of his handset while the bottom half is dropping/lower the center of gravity/center of mass.

Schwarber_offspeed.gif

I dont like this swing...too much slack...too much slop ...too much arms .. push swing... imo.

It takes too long for is upper half to get connected to his lower half... no suddenness in the swing.

but thats just my opinion.

Dec 4, 2013
I dont like this swing...too much slack...too much slop ...too much arms .. push swing... imo.

It takes too long for is upper half to get connected to his lower half... no suddenness in the swing.

I would say he was fooled and is adjusting to off speed. Reminds me of the Bonds gif.....

Aug 28, 2012

I think you forgot too much adjustability! That was an 80mph off speed. Howe's the suddenness on a 92? :)

TheSchwarber.gif

Oct 26, 2012
OK, thanks!

batdragon.gif

Good luck.

Howe ... what do u see wrong with this ??? Its definitely not a push... the connection with her rear hip pulled the bat through a frame or 2 prior. Curious why you pointed this out ?? That gif looks good to me ... but perhaps u are seeing something I am not seeing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles