12u - Latest Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Yes, RHC ...we have been playing around with COG. It appears that COG is what primarily controls the swing plane. If COG is too far back the swing may be too up for the plane of the pitch. If its too far forward then the swing may be too flat or at its worse ...down.

Basically the location of COG needs to correspond to the angle and location of the pitch. In softball the COG would typically be a little more forward than baseball because the pitch plane is flatter.

Its actually pretty cool.

Here is her swing with COG a little further back.

[video=youtube_share;K487if1WOAw]http://youtu.be/K487if1WOAw[/video]

Interesting batdragon. im curious, center of gravity COG and how this effects the swing plane. I understand the leaning back would effect the plane, as a million other twitches in the barrel path, but as it pertains the COG, Since the COG is multidirectional, wouldn't a COG over the plate also effect the swing plane?

I almost forgot, great young lady, I am sure she can hit with any variation of the swings I see here.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
I assume the January swing is the pink shirted swing. The January swing is quite a bit better.

The rear leg actually drives the swing, the stretch/load is there, balance is better, less moving parts, better tilt/shoulders.......and a lot this may have to do with what looks like more bat control or a smaller bat?!?!?!

Sep 17, 2009
Yes, RHC ...we have been playing around with COG. It appears that COG is what primarily controls the swing plane. If COG is too far back the swing may be too up for the plane of the pitch. If its too far forward then the swing may be too flat or at its worse ...down.

Basically the location of COG needs to correspond to the angle and location of the pitch. In softball the COG would typically be a little more forward than baseball because the pitch plane is flatter.

Its actually pretty cool.

Here is her swing with COG a little further back.

This is interesting way to look at, though I don't tend to think about it as *forward COG*. Rather, the explosiveness of the lower half drive will result in more of an uppercut as aggressive bottom results in a bit more tilt as it picks up the barrel creating that nike swoosh. More and more I think the idea of "swing down" or better "stay on top" is the counterpoint to that more aggressive lower half tilt. Stay on top plus explosive tilt evens things out to help get the right plane to square the ball....

Oct 26, 2012
Current swing....

MiserlyWiltedIrishredandwhitesetter.gif

it seems like her swing is becoming more natural as time goes on. Not really modifying anything mechanically.

Just letting her figure out what "feels" right....

..thoughts ????

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
Current swing....

it seems like her swing is becoming more natural as time goes on. Not really modifying anything mechanically.

Just letting her figure out what "feels" right....

..thoughts ????

I agree with you, just let her get stronger and more comfortable with this swing, looks very good!

May 20, 2015
looks very good!

For her age yes. "LOOKS"

When comparing the 3 clips, her swing has gotten worse.
The barrel path has gotten longer, her sequential pattern is now off.
And, her foot work is much worse. Though not as FFS suggests.

But that based off of 3 video clips. And just my opinion.

Oct 26, 2012
I appreciate the observations... but I think a lot of the comments are just based on surface components.

For example, she can change back and forth between these 2 swings instantly just by modifying her starting stance. (narrow & open vs. wider).

batdragondd3_zpsbx3osvsx.gif

I noticed when she starts narrow the swing is more up and more in line with a baseball pitch plane...and when she starts wider her swing is somewhat flatter and more in line with a softball pitch plane. Also starting narrow makes her swing more athletic and provides more power. Starting wider provides more consistency in squaring up pitches.

So really that fact that she can change instantly back in forth really means the underlying mechanics are the same....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles