YouTube Drill to stop bowling pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Bowler

I believe a bowler is a combination of the "push down" (hand on top of the ball) and someone who is "nose over toes" at release or too far forward. Proper internal rotation mechanics will get rid of the first problem, and drills such as the "stork drill" will keep a pitcher's weight properly back. As Armwhip has suggested, they are two distinct issues, IMHO.

Nov 29, 2009
Thanks, I searched the Web Site and read previous comments made by you, and other members, but never quite understood it. Hopefully I understand it better now.

If there is a better video of this drill someone could post, or point me to, I would appreciate it.

When I search YouTube the 1st video I find they do it backwards. The pitcher stands only on their lead foot then throws the ball, keeping their plant foot in the air. I am not sure that makes sense to me.

Should this drill be done balancing 1st on the plant foot then balancing on the lead foot or just on the plant foot?

There is a variation of the drill in the video that helps with young girls when their balance is not advanced enough to hold that position. Have the pitcher in the fully open position just like in the video. Place a 5 gallon bucket upside down and have her put her front foot on it. Be sure she understands the foot is there to help stabilize her body and not to support her body weight. It should be about a 90/10 split on the weight. Don't let her bend forward at the waist. If you're working in a gym or other hard floor the goal is the bucket should not move. Start at 9:00 and move to full arm circles as she is able to maintain balance. This is really not a speed drill, but rather getting comfortable with keeping her weight back. Accuracy will also suffer at the start until she gets comfortable keeping back.

Another variation of the drill once she's keeping her weight back is to use a ball under the front foot. Have her in the open position. Have her hold a ball under the front foot at the instep of the foot. The front foot does not touch the floor at all while the pitch is being thrown. The object is to stay on the ball without the ball rolling and her foot falling off the ball when delivering the pitch. Just as with the bucket start at 9:00 and move to full arm circles as she is able to maintain balance.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I think that bowlers get out on their front foot as a way to keep the ball down. They learn at an early age that they have problems with the ball staying in the hand a little too long and going high, especially if they are trying apply a hard wrist snap for speed. So to compensate they unconsciously start bending over. I was at a camp once where they had some kind of harness contraption that they would attach to the shoulders of all the bowlers in an attempt to get them to stand taller. It was good for a chuckle.

Nov 29, 2009
I think that bowlers get out on their front foot as a way to keep the ball down. They learn at an early age that they have problems with the ball staying in the hand a little too long and going high, especially if they are trying apply a hard wrist snap for speed. So to compensate they unconsciously start bending over. I was at a camp once where they had some kind of harness contraption that they would attach to the shoulders of all the bowlers in an attempt to get them to stand taller. It was good for a chuckle.

One of the things that I do with a leaner while they are working in the open position is to place two fingers on the glove side of the neck. They have all the freedom of movement they need and it keeps them from being able to get their head going forward. All it requires is some slight resistance in most cases. Once they get the feeling of the head staying back the rest of the body soon learns the new feeling when delivering the ball.

Mar 12, 2009
I've always thought of the term "bowler" as someone who kicks/drags their back leg way out to their glove side off the power line.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
A”bowler” pitcher usually has quite a few faults. What you mentioned and also their head is way in front of their body. That is why a quite a few people responded with the leaning forward help.

I have tried some of the suggestions but not all of them yet. I really like the 3 variations of the drill based on the individual girl’s skill level.

I like drills because I am usually by myself working with the pitchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes