Your top 3 gloves for MI

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Glove size for a MI is probably more of a preference I guess as a MI 3/4 of the balls you field/catch (balls you get in front of, relays, DP) shouldn't really be "caught" anyway if you are doing it correctly. You are right that there may be 1 out 50 backhands/forehands you will get with a bigger glove but that may be offset by the 1 out 50 balls you cannot get out of your glove quick enough.

I ended up getting her a HOH Pro 206 12" glove for $160. She won't be using it till next spring anyway as her Slugger is in good shape and I see no reason to switch at the moment. It will give her ample time to break it in and get used to it. It was a good deal so I went for it figuring she will need one eventually.
Good choice. My daughter actually traps the ball against her glove when turning two. Old technique you don’t see much anymore.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My daughter’s have 13” and 12.75” gloves for MI play.
What age are your daughters? The majority of girls I’ve ever seen use gloves that large at 2B / SS were younger and they were using their dads old flat 25 year old beater!

I haven’t seen a 12.75”+ glove in the MI in years! Of course this is preference, I guess it depends on what a girl is comfortable with? I’d definitely want the 3B to use a glove that’s a 1/4” to a 1/2” larger than a 2B / SS just because it’s such a reaction position.

With the WCWS just over, I looked at a lot of gloves on TV, besides 1B, I never saw a 12.75”+ glove in the infield of any team. Plus a glove that size is just too heavy up the middle!

Apr 28, 2019
What age are your daughters? The majority of girls I’ve ever seen use gloves that large at 2B / SS were younger and they were using their dads old flat 25 year old beater!

I haven’t seen a 12.75”+ glove in the MI in years! Of course this is preference, I guess it depends on what a girl is comfortable with? I’d definitely want the 3B to use a glove that’s a 1/4” to a 1/2” larger than a 2B / SS just because it’s such a reaction position.

With the WCWS just over, I looked at a lot of gloves on TV, besides 1B, I never saw a 12.75”+ glove in the infield of any team. Plus a glove that size is just too heavy up the middle!
13yrs old. We have 12.5 gloves but they and I prefer longer gloves. I personally wouldn’t go shorter than a 12.5”.
Like I said earlier with scouting reports and better positioning with each pitch not a necessity with older girls. I still like the extra reach of a longer glove and really can’t believe a ball would get lost in transfer with longer glove. Baseball maybe not softball. Gloves are lighter than ever with man made materials. I don’t see weight being an issue.
College girls for instance prefer shorter gloves due to bases still only being 60’ apart. In baseball as you age the bases get further apart, softball stays the same for every age. I personally would like to split the difference and go 75’ between bases from HS through Pro’s. This would take some pressure off infielders and I believe larger gloves would be more prevalent.

Jun 8, 2016
College girls for instance prefer shorter gloves due to bases still only being 60’ apart. In baseball as you age the bases get further apart, softball stays the same for every age. I personally would like to split the difference and go 75’ between bases from HS through Pro’s. This would take some pressure off infielders and I believe larger gloves would be more prevalent.
The short bases in softball make for a faster game..I like that. If anything needs to be changed, imo, it is fence distances and the bat specifications(allowable drops and materials). I see too many not well struck popups going over the fence in college softball..you should have to barrel up a ball to get a HR imo.

Apr 28, 2019
The short bases in softball make for a faster game..I like that. If anything needs to be changed, imo, it is fence distances and the bat specifications(allowable drops and materials). I see too many not well struck popups going over the fence in college softball..you should have to barrel up a ball to get a HR imo.
Game is only 7 innings as it is that’s quick enough. I would go 75’ between bases, 45” from circle, and at least 225’ to the fences.
I would also love to see a uniform field size like every other sport. B-ball court, tennis court, soccer field, football field all uniform sizes. Only difference is way the stands are structured.

Jun 8, 2016
Game is only 7 innings as it is that’s quick enough. I would go 75’ between bases, 45” from circle, and at least 225’ to the fences.
I would also love to see a uniform field size like every other sport. B-ball court, tennis court, soccer field, football field all uniform sizes. Only difference is way the stands are structured.
I didn't mean length of game speed...

Jul 25, 2016
I would save the Pro1000/Pro206 for 3B.

For middle infield, check out an A2000 1786 (11.5") or 1787 (11.75"). Lots of color options and a proven pattern for MI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi