Your thoughts Please!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2012
ASA 14u game last night Runner on 1st one out. Batter has a 3-2 count check swing home plate Ump calls calls ball four batter starts to trot to 1st runner advances to 2nd. Our catcher finally appeals to the umpire to ask for help as the base umpire is moving to the C position he says that she went and they call her out. The question is does the runner go back to that is now on 2nd or go back to 1st or does she get to stay on 2nd. I caused quite a heated discussion last night.

Mar 15, 2014
She stays on second.
Quite frankly it is a bad idea for the base umpire to over rule his partner--especially with runners on base.
Yes--he can, but it is not always a good decision to do so unless it is so obvious as to be non ignorable.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
She stays on second.
Quite frankly it is a bad idea for the base umpire to over rule his partner--especially with runners on base.
Yes--he can, but it is not always a good decision to do so unless it is so obvious as to be non ignorable.

Umpires job is to call what they see, if the plate umpire did not want his partners opinion on the check swing he should have never granted the request for appeal in the first place. An umpire should not base his call on the trouble it may cause after the fact. The best thing the plate umpire could have done in this situation was if there was any question he thought the batter had made an attempt would have been to immediately go to his partner on his own for the appeal.

Jan 7, 2012
seems to me that this would be the time the rule 10-3-c should be invoked and the runner returned to first.. it talks about an umpires delayed call putting the offence or defence in jeopardy....what am i missing?

Mar 15, 2014
Umpires job is to call what they see, if the plate umpire did not want his partners opinion on the check swing he should have never granted the request for appeal in the first place.
Oh really??
In most books the plate umpire has no choice but to ask when requested.
It is one of the few situations that a coach can force the umpire to go for help.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Umpires job is to call what they see, if the plate umpire did not want his partners opinion on the check swing he should have never granted the request for appeal in the first place.
Oh really??
It is one of the few situations that a coach can force the umpire to go for help.

Really? Which books other than NCAA? Citations please. And, BTW, I'm not responding to a request from the coach.

Jun 22, 2008
Oh really??

As MTR said, only rule set I am aware of that forces the umpire to go for help on a check swing is NCAA.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs