You Pitch Funny

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Great video! Thanks for sharing. Good overview to whet the appetite of those that are skeptics. I’d love to see Part 2 be a slightly more advanced explanation/demonstration of the differences.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Good video. The easiest way to explain to a novice is to demonstrate an overhand throw. The arm should end up across the body, not under the same side armpit. How awkward would that be? So, why would it be any different throwing a ball underhand?

BLB

May 19, 2008
Good video. The easiest way to explain to a novice is to demonstrate an overhand throw. The arm should end up across the body, not under the same side armpit. How awkward would that be? So, why would it be any different throwing a ball underhand?
I agree that the pitching hand should not end up under the throwing side arm pit. For one thing, there would be way too much elbow flexion whether the elbow stays at the pitcher's side or comes way up in the follow-through. I've seen both with new students.

I have a question with regards to the arm ending up across the body which can be interpreted in different ways in my opinion. From a catcher's view: If we draw a vertical line that passes through the hand at the moment of release and we call that the pitching hand's pitching plane... in your opinion, where should the hand end up shortly after release in relation to that pitching plane? More or less stay on that pitching plane or veer off across to the other side of the torso?

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I agree that the pitching hand should not end up under the throwing side arm pit. For one thing, there would be way too much elbow flexion whether the elbow stays at the pitcher's side or comes way up in the follow-through. I've seen both with new students.

I have a question with regards to the arm ending up across the body which can be interpreted in different ways in my opinion. From a catcher's view: If we draw a vertical line that passes through the hand at the moment of release and we call that the pitching hand's pitching plane... in your opinion, where should the hand end up shortly after release in relation to that pitching plane? More or less stay on that pitching plane or veer off across to the other side of the torso?

I just got home after a 16 hour day. I'll post something that should help tomorrow...CP

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Here's another one I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtJzwRjX38

I hope more folks get inspired and create material like this that promote good mechanics. Would have loved it if BM put together a full on video presentation.

My son is taking a video production class in school and I'm tempted to ask him about doing a clip about a young baseball pitcher who went to his sister's first HE pitching lesson to catch then tried to incorporate what he saw into his pitching routine!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York

The follow through is an effect. I like Ken's response of just keeping it loose.

I think the follow through can be helpful in identifying issues in their motion.

If we can agree a goal or checkpoint of I\R is to obtain the palm up\elbow down position at 9 o'clock-3 o'clock as we start to adduct (bring our arms\elbows INTO our body) with the intent to throw across our body then generally speaking the throwing arm will travel down the throw line, tangent to the arm circle.

I do not want a student to throw "around" their body and certainly not away from their body (sometimes a trait of HE)...so if I start to see a follow through that is getting really offline or is very inconsistent, then I start to back chain the movement to try and identify the root cause.

CP

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414