You make the call...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
A guy posted this on Facebook, but never gave the outcome, so I've come to the experts...

Question on the NCAA exam that I'm bringing here to get an NFHS ruling.

R1 at first base. Batter hits a ground ball towards F4. As R1 takes off for second, F3 obstructs her (F3 had no reasonable opportunity to make the play). The obstruction causes R1 to stumble and fall. As she tries to get up and continue to second base, R1 is unavoidably hit by the batted ball, deflecting it away and preventing F4 from being able to make the play. R1 makes it to second base safely, and the BR reaches first.

Your call?

The OP phrased it like there would be a different outcome in the NCAA vs. NFHS. If that's so then:

What would the NCAA ruling be? What would the NFHS ruling be?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
- Obstruction is a delayed dead ball so at this point, play on; R1 is protected between 1B and 2B
- As described, the ball has hit R1 before F4 has a chance to field it - this interference and a dead ball; obstruction doesn't change live ball rules, so when the ball hits the runner; we now have a dead ball.

Time to rule:

Unless R1 intentionally caused the interference - which the Q implies she didn't; dead ball, R1 will be on 2B, BR on 1B.

This goes against a few common 'generalities' or misunderstandings - interference does generally override obstruction (especially malicious contact); however in this case it is the same runner and the defense knocked her into the path of the ball, and you cannot reward the defense for their act of obstruction which led to the interference.

The NCAA rule is 4.10.5 "Umpires should not impose an effect on a team for any infraction of a rule when imposing the effect would be an advantage to the offending team.
Also... (and I am not kidding); Reference: 4.10.5; 9.5.3.6; 9.5.7.3; 9.5.11; 12.12.7.1; 12.17.2.1.1; 14.6.1.5; A.R. 9-37

Case Book: Ar 9-9-37
RULING: An obstructed runner committing an act of interference is
one of the times when she may be called out between the two bases
where she was obstructed. However, in this play, if the umpire judges
that the interference was a direct result of the obstruction and could
not be avoided, penalizing the offense would unfairly advantage the
defense. The ball is dead at the time of the apparent interference.
The batter-runner is awarded first base and credited with a fielder’s
choice, and the base runner is awarded second base since she is forced
to advance.

While I don't believe NFHS has similar specific text; the first paragraph of the rule books states that "A player or team should not be permitted an advantage that is not intended by a rule.

So I don't believe I would rule differently in either NFHS or NCAA

Jul 22, 2015
- Obstruction is a delayed dead ball so at this point, play on; R1 is protected between 1B and 2B
- As described, the ball has hit R1 before F4 has a chance to field it - this interference and a dead ball; obstruction doesn't change live ball rules, so when the ball hits the runner; we now have a dead ball.

Time to rule:

Unless R1 intentionally caused the interference - which the Q implies she didn't; dead ball, R1 will be on 2B, BR on 1B.

This goes against a few common 'generalities' or misunderstandings - interference does generally override obstruction (especially malicious contact); however in this case it is the same runner and the defense knocked her into the path of the ball, and you cannot reward the defense for their act of obstruction which led to the interference.

The NCAA rule is 4.10.5 "Umpires should not impose an effect on a team for any infraction of a rule when imposing the effect would be an advantage to the offending team.
Also... (and I am not kidding); Reference: 4.10.5; 9.5.3.6; 9.5.7.3; 9.5.11; 12.12.7.1; 12.17.2.1.1; 14.6.1.5; A.R. 9-37

Case Book: Ar 9-9-37
RULING: An obstructed runner committing an act of interference is
one of the times when she may be called out between the two bases
where she was obstructed. However, in this play, if the umpire judges
that the interference was a direct result of the obstruction and could
not be avoided, penalizing the offense would unfairly advantage the
defense. The ball is dead at the time of the apparent interference.
The batter-runner is awarded first base and credited with a fielder’s
choice, and the base runner is awarded second base since she is forced
to advance.

While I don't believe NFHS has similar specific text; the first paragraph of the rule books states that "A player or team should not be permitted an advantage that is not intended by a rule.

So I don't believe I would rule differently in either NFHS or NCAA
Great explanation. That's how I would have wanted to rule, but I would have had it wrong due to the idea that the interference took precedence. Thanks!

Jun 22, 2008
NCAA has far different rules and rulings than every other ruleset. No other rulesets have any case plays indicating the interference can be ignored because of the obstruction, they all state interference takes precedence. Without something from the other rulesets to the contrary, the interference supercedes obstruction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying