"You can't clock our pitchers"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
My DD tunes out everything when she is pitching or maybe it's only me that she tunes out. I have asked her and she said she doesn't hear any of the stuff being yelled so I doubt she would even notice if anyone was clocking her.

This is what mine says too. She's got it all tuned out.

Oct 16, 2014
I recently had my pocket radar out at a 12U open tournament. I clocked every pitcher from every game that was happening while I was there. Including my own daughter. I did it for my own knowledge because I know my DD's speed in practice and wanted to see her game speed as well as how sh compared to the others. We are a first year 12u team, all 11 year olds. We were playing a few older teams that have girls that are 12, some even just turned 13. I know or knew of most of the pitchers there. Some that you see the post on facebook that they hit 56 etc etc. Well not ONE pitcher I clocked that day was hitting above 50. Maybe one girl threw one pitch at 51. But for real 50 was the max speed all day. And I clocked probably 6-7 girls and like 8-10 pitches each before moving on. I'd just kneel down behind the backstop and casually do it, not being obvious and not being slick about it, just casually sitting there for about 5 minuets then moved on. Found my results very interesting. The girls our team was all scared to face because she was known to "throw 56" (parent stated) was cruising at 49-50. If thats not a confidence booster I don't know what is.

Jun 12, 2015
I recently had my pocket radar out at a 12U open tournament. I clocked every pitcher from every game that was happening while I was there. Including my own daughter. I did it for my own knowledge because I know my DD's speed in practice and wanted to see her game speed as well as how sh compared to the others. We are a first year 12u team, all 11 year olds. We were playing a few older teams that have girls that are 12, some even just turned 13. I know or knew of most of the pitchers there. Some that you see the post on facebook that they hit 56 etc etc. Well not ONE pitcher I clocked that day was hitting above 50. Maybe one girl threw one pitch at 51. But for real 50 was the max speed all day. And I clocked probably 6-7 girls and like 8-10 pitches each before moving on. I'd just kneel down behind the backstop and casually do it, not being obvious and not being slick about it, just casually sitting there for about 5 minuets then moved on. Found my results very interesting. The girls our team was all scared to face because she was known to "throw 56" (parent stated) was cruising at 49-50. If thats not a confidence booster I don't know what is.
Ditto! I've clocked a ton of 10U pitchers and quite a few 12U pitchers. I've heard of many girls throwing over 50 according to coaches and parents. With my own eyes on my pocket radar, I've seen one. She was right at 50 mph. Our girls could not get a hit to save their lives!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I was at a tournament once and was clocking a pitcher with my pocket radar. Ump turned around and said nobody is allowed behind the plate, and in a very direct way told me to move. Im not even sure if he cared I was clocking. I don't think he didn't want anybody behind him maybe evaluationg his strike zone. Who knows?

I didn't want to make a scene, so I complied.

My response would range from ignoring to "f&%K off". Coaches can't be behind home plate, but there is nothing in the rulebook about spectators. I've NEVER seen a ballgame where the area behind home plate wasn't packed.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Megan Betsa said when she got to college she only threw at 85% of her max speed because placement was more important.

A girl may throw a pitch a few MPH faster if they overthrow and don't care about accuracy just to get clocked, but that is vastly different that pitching X MPH in game like situations. Even so I bet you only gain 2-3 MPH. So the coaches and dad's who are over by 5-10 MPH are just talking out their @$$.

Nov 18, 2013
Not to say parents don’t lie, but what often happens is someone asks “what’s the fastest she’s ever thrown?” and the parent answers the top speed ever hit in practice. They may clarify game speed, but when its repeated they leave out the clarification and pretty soon the parent is getting blasted for overstating their DD’s speed.

Re: the 10 mph, actually that could be about right. Max speed is reached at practice under perfect conditions, throwing nothing but fastballs and not being all that concerned about location. DD’s max speed ever recorded is 68. On a nice warm day her cruising speed is 61-66 depending on the pitch. If it’s cold she’ll be more in the 58-62 range. Now if you’re talking 10U I wouldn’t expect quite as large of a difference, but it could still be significant.

Jun 12, 2015
DD's max that we've clocked running in is 54 and from full pitch 49. When people ask what she throws I say mid-40s. In games her fast ball is 44-46 generally. Though actually, I haven't clocked her recently. She's been injured and not pitching nearly as much as she used to. Only 5 innings this weekend. I should try to remember to clock her this weekend and see what her game speed is like right now.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I was at a tournament last weekend. In one game a parent was clocking the pitcher for the other team (pitcher's mom perhaps?). My DD was pitching for the other team. I noticed she never clocked my DD 3. I was tempted to ask her to clock my DD 3, but I chickened out.

The ONLY time my DD 3 was ever clocked was in the mud. I mean, it was tryouts for a team, and the mud was so bad some of the pitchers were literally falling down on their posteriors trying to pitch in the mud. And that was the ONLY time my DD 3 was ever clocked. DD 3 says she could've thrown faster if it had been dry.

Nov 3, 2012
My response would range from ignoring to "f&%K off". Coaches can't be behind home plate, but there is nothing in the rulebook about spectators. I've NEVER seen a ballgame where the area behind home plate wasn't packed.

I was kind of pissed myself, but was more worried what my DD coach was thinking. I didn't want to be that "Dad" causing problems in the stands. Even then, the coach gave me the "what the hell you doing look". This park which was in the Chicago area, and the stands were on the sidelines and they had an open area right behind the fence with no bleachers. It was a really good spot to watch and utilize the pocket radar. Just to add, this was a college showcase, but very low attended by coaches. I wonder what the ump would have said if a real college coach showed up with a radar gun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619