You call it...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
If the umpire was doing their job the runner should never have advanced that far. Ball was dead immediately when it went over the fence, call dead ball and announce 1 base award.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Sad to say the umps were not the best or even decent. He called nothing and watched the girls run the bases because I think he had no clue where the ball was. Heck even the batter ran to first. Of course we protested. He then called dead ball but never asked for the 2nd base runner to come back to 3rd or call her out. Then he decided to have a conference with other ump, then with our Assistant Marine Coach (should be the head coach but we like his negotiating skills better) and then the other coach got involved. After first discussion 3rd base runner scored (correct). After second discussion because I think he was still clueless about the R2, he let her return to 3rd (from my understanding wrong because she exited the field, should be out - end the inning). Then even after that 3rd discussion finally he realized runner at 1st had only 2 strikes.

We won the game but were completely blown away by some other bad calls. Season half way through and I have yet to be suspended so all is good. If we get one or both of those again I just may get it over with during pre-game warm ups.

Jun 22, 2008
FED 8-6-19 She abandons a base by entering dead ball territory.

I would not consider this abandoning a base. From what you indicated the umpire made no call, as far as the runners were concerned they had all legally advanced and scored.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I agree partially because of the ignorance of the ump but once all was sorted out should she still be considered not out at 3rd?

I have taught our girls not to leave field of play until official call has been made and most definitely keep helmet on at all times while inside fence.

Nov 1, 2008
In my mind, she didn't leave the field of play in the sense that the book means. She crossed the plate, she's supposed to go to the dugout. If the umpire had a clue he would have stopped her long before she had time to run from 2nd all the way to home and then walk to the dugout.

Jun 22, 2008
You cannot penalize a team because of an umpires delay in making a call or in this case lack of a call. Since the umpire made no call the runner from 2nd believed herself to have legally scored. There was no reason for her to stay on the field. If the umpire had made a timely call and announced the award the runner never would have gone in the dugout..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32