You call it...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Here is what should have been called in order:

1. Ball
2. Dead Ball (when it goes over the backstop)
3. Award R1 home
4. Award R2 third.
5. Put a new ball in play and Play Ball!

A pitched ball going out of play is a one base award from the time of the pitch. R2 should not be out for entering the dugout. That happened during a dead ball. Bring her back out and put her at third.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I agree not to penalize the player for the umps...uhm confusion. She was doing what she was coached, run until the coach tells her to stop.

Just wanted to see what some of the die hards here would say.

Sep 5, 2012
I agree with the above but what do you do about the runner from 2nd that decided to advance to home then proceed to dug out.

I agree partially because of the ignorance of the ump but once all was sorted out should she still be considered not out at 3rd?

I have taught our girls not to leave field of play until official call has been made and most definitely keep helmet on at all times while inside fence.

First off, the first thing to leave the field of play was the ball. The millisecond the ball left the field of play was "dead ball"! Absolutely nothing that happens after that moment counts for anything. Time is out! Runners can leave their bases & go into their dugout or anywhere else without jeopardy until the umpire announces that the game is ready to resume. At that point they must return to their respect bases so that play can continue.

All an umpire can or should do is make any resulting rulings & put runners where they belong as a result.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32