YES! High School Softball discussion!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Our school has about 16-17 girls, coaches are talking about cutting a few and only having a varsity team. About 10 of them have at least B level TB experience, and 4 have played at a gold level. We have a very strong pitcher, a good one, and one other that can get into the 60s, but has very little control. I guess 2 girls showed up in tennis shoes, no glove, bat, bag etc....never played a single day in their lives, but they need the points for their letter jacket.... aint that some BS?!?!
DD looks to be the starting 1B, and is by far the teams biggest bat, thats just my (unbiased) opinion from watching the group in BP yesterday. :)

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Tomorrow is the last day of tryouts. I guess now they are combining the 7th and 8th graders into 1 to pick out who they want. I really have no idea.

I'm also already hearing the horror story of MS coaches trying to change girls hitting and fielding. Girls coming to TB practice unsure what to do because you don't want to say no to a coach and get kicked off the team. I hate parts of school ball.

Before I get vilified please understand these are terrible school programs with a history of losing I'm talking about. My DD's coach last year tried to change her stance even though she was hitting .700 at the time. It's not that I'm better than these coaches but my DD's hitting coach at the time was and still is.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I hate parts of school ball. My DD's coach last year tried to change her stance even though she was hitting .700 at the time. It's not that I'm better than these coaches but my DD's hitting coach at the time was and still is.

A guy I work with who also happens to be a friend of mine is the "hitting coach" for DD's HS team. We spend hours each day talking about different topics related to softball; especially hitting. Before last years season, I had bought Tewks Hitting ebook and told about how good it was. During tryouts, his sage advice to DD was the hands can't go back and keep your weight back. DD tried and just didn't know how. When she came home and told me that, I paid the $50 for him and bought him a copy. Then I sent him a link and told him that this book about hitting would turn him on his ear. Thankfully he took it as the present it was supposed to be and didn't think anything of it. At least this year he's giving good instruction to the players that need it. I definitely wouldn't have done this if he wasn't my friend though. I think anyone else would take it as commentary on their coaching.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
A guy I work with who also happens to be a friend of mine is the "hitting coach" for DD's HS team. We spend hours each day talking about different topics related to softball; especially hitting. Before last years season, I had bought Tewks Hitting ebook and told about how good it was. During tryouts, his sage advice to DD was the hands can't go back and keep your weight back. DD tried and just didn't know how. When she came home and told me that, I paid the $50 for him and bought him a copy. Then I sent him a link and told him that this book about hitting would turn him on his ear. Thankfully he took it as the present it was supposed to be and didn't think anything of it. At least this year he's giving good instruction to the players that need it. I definitely wouldn't have done this if he wasn't my friend though. I think anyone else would take it as commentary on their coaching.:rolleyes:

I spoke to the coach after the game and asked about what he was trying to teach her and his intention was good. He was trying to close her stance to generate power. The generate power part was the good intention. I politely asked him if he could email me what he wanted and I would take it to the hitting coach who happened to be a 3 time conference player of the year and a D1 coach at the time. He never emailed me.

Me personally unless you are a really good coach you aren't going to do much in 9 days of practice before games start in a gym when you are tyring to teach 20 girls.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I popped into the gym yesterday afternoon to see if I could get a glimpse of the future. I see a kid in a lane hitting off a juggs machine. Ok, not my favorite. Next to her is another kid TRYING to hit off a lite flight machine. This POS was launching balls all over the place. By the kids head, Over their head, on the floor and the swings were horrible. Later I told DD, do not swing in that cage. Bunt and or watch them go by.

This team last year went from wracking up 6-8 quality hits per game to where one or two hits was the norm the last few games. DD's swing changed significantly during the season and I expect hitting off that machine coupled with the coaches input were responsible. Not this year.

Mar 28, 2013
This is my first year exposed to the High school ball experience. The coaches don't coach much, we have a majority of travel ball players so the coach puts them thru drills but never really says much, After reading this thread I consider myself lucky. But I think I've gotten my first glimpse of how crazy school parents can actually get. I was talking to another parent I knew from a past TB Team and up walks this Dad, He introduces himself as the team captain father and asks our name.He points to my Freshman DD and tells her the whole Team is riding on her shoulders in the circle but his DD approves of her. then he proceeds to tell us that his DD was the great so and so that was the conference mvp and last years Batting champion. and got some first team honor.Then he asked for our names again, reintroduced himself Again and walked away. LOL We all just looked at each other like did that just happen. This will be fun!!

Sep 29, 2014
Tryouts? Here the season is 50% complete. First pitch forecast today is 84 degrees with possibility of thunderstorms. :)

Tryouts start in the GYM on March 23, first game is not until second week in April, which is just as well since there is still probably 2 ft of snow on the field.

Jan 17, 2014
Central IA
Our season here in Iowa doesnt start until the day after Memorial Day. Practice can't start until May 11th if i remember correctly. Since my DD is a pitcher they have been going before school since the first week of February. Open gym just started this past Sunday for us. At least the DD will strt playing TB at the end of this month.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves